CURRENTLY SOLD OUT
Save on Textbooks
- AU $56.99Trending at AU $71.40
- AU $13.75Trending at AU $17.83
- AU $94.90Trending at AU $96.53
- AU $29.08Trending at AU $33.28
- AU $30.74Trending at AU $37.18
- AU $23.06Trending at AU $32.95
- AU $69.55Trending at AU $86.07
About this product
- DescriptionCauses for Concern collects some of Michael D. Higgins', Ireland's newly elected ninth president, best and most insightful writing on Irish society, culture, human rights and the larger context of Ireland in Europe and the wider world. Also available in paperback. While four of the signatories of the 1916 Proclamation were poets, you would be hard pressed to find the same number in today's Dail chamber. A man who fits the bill as poet and politician is Michael D. Higgins, perhaps one of the few public representatives today who enjoys widespread respect across all political persuasions. Causes for Concern covers some aspects of Michael D.'s early personal history, Irish politics, culture and broadcasting, global politics, and the human condition. Drawing on material produced over more than forty years, Michael D. Higgins discusses the Irish political system, the role of the Left, Nicaragua and South American politics, Irish film, his own personal journey through political and creative life and the best ways to enhance and protect human rights. In a comprehensive section on Ireland and the Global Community he sheds light on Ireland's international relations with the politically complex nations of Turkey, Iraq, Somalia and Leban amongst others- a fascinating read from this side of the Arab Spring and unmissable for those interested in an empathetic insider's view of the innermost workings of the often chaotic international political arena, all told from an Irish perspective. An enlightening, thought-provoking and humane collection of essays, Causes for Concern features an extensive foreword by commentator and writer Declan Kiberd.
- Author(s)Michael D. Higgins
- PublisherLiberties Press Ltd
- Date of Publication01/11/2006
- SubjectCurrent Affairs & Issues
- Place of PublicationDublin
- Country of PublicationIreland
- ImprintLiberties Press Ltd
- Weight640 g
- Width161 mm
- Height231 mm
- Spine33 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.