All listings for this product
Best-selling in Other Children & Young Adults
Save on Other Children & Young Adults
- AU $23.73Trending at AU $24.65
- AU $125.98Trending at AU $129.66
- AU $168.00Trending at AU $182.52
- AU $64.99Trending at AU $74.37
- AU $25.64Trending at AU $28.83
- AU $10.36Trending at AU $13.55
- AU $69.99Trending at AU $90.43
About this product
- Description<i>Celebrate Cinco de Mayo</i> continues National Geographic's spectacular Holidays Around the World series with this joyous feast of Mexican culture--an annual event in Mexico and an increasingly popular holiday in America as well. Many mistakenly assume that the fifth of May is Mexico's Independence Day. In fact, the date marks the anniversary of a famous 1862 battle in which the Mexicans defeated the French. Kwn as the Battle of Puebla, the victory marked a watershed in Mexican pride and unity that echoes down to the present day. With succinct text and dazzling photography, <i>Celebrate Cinco de Mayo</i> takes readers on a journey to discover the rich variety of celebrations across our country--from Texas to Minnesota to New York. This inviting book gives readers a flavor of the wide range of colorful holiday traditions: parades and pageants; races and rodeos; mariachi music and dancing; parties with pinatas and delicious Mexican foods. Children will learn how the largest <i>Cinco de Mayo</i> event in the world, the Fiesta Broadway, actually takes place in the United States, and attracts more than 600,000 revelers each year. Mexico is our closest neighbor and the birthplace of America's largest immigrant community; a kwledge of Mexican culture and history is increasingly relevant to students across the United States. National Geographic supports K-12 educators with ELA Common Core Resources.Visit www.natgeoed.org/commoncore for more information.
- Author BiographyCarolyn Otto is the author of more than twenty books, including several award-winning children's non-fiction titles. She has also written poetry and fiction for children and adults. She earned her master's degree from New York University. She now lives in Colorado Springs, CO.
- Author(s)Carolyn Otto
- PublisherNational Geographic Society
- Date of Publication15/05/2008
- SubjectChildren's General Non-Fiction
- Series TitleHolidays Around the World (Hardcover)
- Place of PublicationHanover
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintNational Geographic Society
- Content Notecolour illustrations, maps
- Weight399 g
- Width223 mm
- Height262 mm
- Spine9 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.