All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $11.99Trending at AU $16.87
- AU $82.00Trending at AU $99.54
- AU $9.06Trending at AU $14.01
- AU $50.16Trending at AU $55.78
- AU $26.67Trending at AU $29.78
- AU $20.29Trending at AU $25.53
- AU $21.17Trending at AU $25.81
About this product
- DescriptionThe human brain represents about 2% of the body weight, yet it accounts for approximately 20% of aerobic metabolism. This high dependency on energy-consuming processes is mainly caused by the active transport of ions, which is necessary to compensate for the transmembrane ion currents that are part ofthe complex signaling processes in the brain. Ninety-five percent ofthe brain's ATP is derived from mitochondrial oxidative phosphorylation. Since that organ' s storage capacity for oxygen is minimal, any interruption of oxygen delivery to brain cells willlead to changes in membrane excitability and, there- fore, to disruption of neuronal signaling within seconds. It seems that mamma- lian brain is especially vulnerable to such an interruption, since oxygen deprivation leads to activation of ion channel mechanisms in neurons that impair their communications. Thus, the function of the brain as a coordinator of vital homeostatic reflexes, and complex body reactions to external challenges, depends critically on the rate of oxygen delivery and oxygen consumption. Oxygen delivery depends on two variables described in the Fick relation- ship: volume flow rate ofblood and the arterial oxygen content. A reduction in either of these two variables will have serious effects on vital brain func- tions. Reduction of arterial blood flow to the brain can be caused by cardiac arrest, shock, carotid occlusion, Of hypotension (global ischemia). Oxygen content is progressively decreased in asphyxia (including drowning).
- PublisherHumana Press Inc.
- Date of Publication24/03/2013
- SubjectClinical Medicine: Professional
- Series TitleContemporary Neuroscience
- Place of PublicationTotowa, NJ
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintHumana Press Inc.
- Content Note15 black & white illustrations, biography
- Weight450 g
- Width155 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Edited byWolfgang Walz
- Edition StatementSoftcover reprint of the original 1st ed. 1999
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.