All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionCommunication scholarship has t enjoyed the same kind of theoretical cohesion or ontological security as some disciplines. The field's intellectual roving eye and resistance to establishing a single core body of kwledge has inspired serial rounds of soul-searching and existential doubt among communication scholars, on one hand, and celebration and intellectual adventurism, on the other. The theme of the 2013 ICA annual conference thus raised an interesting question: For a field that is perpetually in flux and decentered, what exactly is, or should be, challenged? How, and by whom? The chapters in this collection, chosen from among the top papers presented in London, suggest that the challenges themselves are constantly being reinvented, broken down and reorganized. The communication discipline undergoes continuous change rather than following an orderly, stepwise path toward the neat, complete accumulation of kwledge. The chapters challenge familiar approaches, tions or assumptions in communication research and scholarship and reflect on the field's multifaceted and increasingly open character in an era of shifting social relations, formations and techlogies.
- Author BiographyLeah A. Lievrouw (PhD, the University of Southern California) is a professor in the Department of Information Studies at the University of California, Los Angeles. She is author of Alternative and Activist New Media (2011), which received the 2011 best book award from the Communication and Information Technology section of the American Sociological Association. She is co-editor with Sonia Livingstone of the four-volume Benchmarks in Communication: New Media (2009), and The Handbook of New Media (2006).
- PublisherPeter Lang Publishing Inc
- Date of Publication28/05/2014
- SubjectUsage & Writing Guides
- Series TitleInternational Communication Association Annual Conference Theme Book
- Series Part/Volume Number1
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- First Published2014
- ImprintPeter Lang Publishing Inc
- Weight380 g
- Width150 mm
- Height225 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Edited byLeah A. Lievrouw
- Edition StatementNew edition
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $37.99Trending at AU $73.29
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $71.81
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $70.75
- AU $100.89Trending at AU $103.44
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $80.95
- AU $53.09Trending at AU $58.60
- AU $99.99Trending at AU $112.55
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.