All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionHidden at the margins of Burmese Buddhism and culture, the cults of the weikza</em~ shape Burmese culture by bringing together practices of supernatural power and a mission to protect Buddhism. This exciting new research on an often hidden aspect of Burmese religion places weikza in relation to the Vipassana insight meditation movement and conventional Buddhist practices, as well as the contemporary rise of Buddhist fundamentalism. Featuring research based on fieldwork only possible in recent years, paired with reflective essays by senior Buddhist studies scholars, this book situates the weikza cult in relation to broader Buddhist and Southeast Asian contexts, as the Burmese expressions of the weikza cults themselves. Champions of Buddhismopens the field to new questions, new problems, and new connections with the study of religion and Southeast Asia in general.
- Author BiographyBenedicte Brac de la Perriere is a researcher with the National Center of Scientific Research (CNRS), France, and is the current Director of the Center of Southeast Asia Studies in Paris, France. Guillaume Rozenberg is with the Center of Scientific Research (CNRS), France. Alicia Turner is Assistant Professor of Humanities and Religious Studies at York University in Toronto, Canada.
- PublisherNUS Press
- Date of Publication30/07/2014
- SubjectNon-Christian Religions
- Place of PublicationSingapore
- Country of PublicationSingapore
- ImprintNUS Press
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Edited byAlicia Turner,Benedicte Brac de la Perriere,Guillaume Rozenberg
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $17.88Trending at AU $23.68
- AU $62.03Trending at AU $73.52
- AU $32.89Trending at AU $36.89
- AU $37.69Trending at AU $48.32
- AU $30.58Trending at AU $37.67
- AU $44.12Trending at AU $51.80
- AU $41.91Trending at AU $52.43
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.