Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $28.69Trending at AU $30.82
- AU $52.98Trending at AU $78.83
- AU $44.48Trending at AU $52.90
- AU $34.29Trending at AU $38.68
- AU $26.88Trending at AU $29.35
- AU $44.27Trending at AU $52.87
- AU $36.48Trending at AU $41.21
About this product
- DescriptionA stalgic tour of Jarrow illustrated by old photographs of the town, selected from the author's quite unique and extensive collection. The images, many of which have never been published before, feature street scenes, table buildings, social history, industry, events and transport. Jarrow was rewned as a town built on shipbuilding and steel working, courtesy of the Palmer shipbuilding empire, who reigned supreme supplying the world's fleet with more than 1000 vessels until its demise in 1933. It was this abrupt closure of the world famous shipyard which instigated the infamous 'Jarrow Crusade'. The fascination eight picture postcards which were given to Paul Perry in 1966 were the beginning of a journey, a journey which has lasted close to fifty years. The postcards were to form the backbone of the author's extensive collection and have multiplied into many thousands of images, some of which he share's with you within the pages of this publication.
- Author BiographyPaul Perry was born and raised in Jarrow. His interest in old photographs goes back to his childhood when he became fascinated by images showing the area blackened by years of heavy industrial activity. Inspired by these visions of the past, and coupled with a fascination for cameras urged him to decide upon a career as a commercial photographer. It was in the mid 1960s when he started collecting photographs of his home town. Today, and with his unique photographic archive he has became a focus for local townsfolk interested in the history of Jarrow.
- Author(s)Paul Perry
- PublisherFonthill Media
- Date of Publication01/11/2013
- SubjectLocal History, Names & Genealogy
- Series TitleChanging Times
- Place of PublicationToadsmoor Road
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintFonthill Media
- Content Note180
- Weight250 g
- Width165 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine9 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.