All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis book examines the biomedical research of Nobel Prize-winning bacteriologist Charles Nicolle during his tenure as director of the Pasteur Institute of Tunis. Using typhus as its lens, it demonstrates how the complexities of early twentieth century bacteriology, French imperial ideology, the Pastorian mission, and conditions in colonial Tunisia blended to inform the triumphs and disappointments of Nicolle's fascinating career. It illuminates how these diverse elements shaped Nicolle's personal identity, the identity of his institute, and his invative conception of the birth, life, and death -- or, the emergence and eradication -- of infectious disease. Kim Pelis blends exhaustive archival research with a close reading of Nicolle's written work -- scientific papers, philosophical treatises, and literary contributions -- to explore the complex relations between biomedical ideas and sociocultural context. The result is a study that will be of interest t only to students of French history, colonial medicine, and the history of the biomedical sciences but also to anyone seeking to understand how individuals have attempted to deal creatively with complex times and ambiguous kwledge. Kim Pelis, a medical historian by training, is a writer for the director of the National Institutes of Health.
- Author BiographyNow working full time for the NIH as a researcher/historian, 7/07. Kim Pelis is visiting assistant professor of history at the University of Notre Dame.
- Author(s)Kim Pelis
- PublisherBoydell & Brewer Ltd
- Date of Publication15/04/2013
- SubjectMedicine: General
- Place of PublicationRochester
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- First Published2013
- ImprintUniversity of Rochester Press
- Content Note16, 16 black & white illustrations, 16 black and white
- Weight608 g
- Width154 mm
- Height228 mm
- Spine22 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $61.30Trending at AU $73.48
- AU $82.00Trending at AU $99.31
- AU $36.78Trending at AU $38.13
- AU $50.16Trending at AU $55.65
- AU $33.33Trending at AU $36.24
- AU $20.18Trending at AU $24.49
- AU $23.12Trending at AU $33.89
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.