All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionA 'conservative radical' is William Alexander Eddie's description of the French virtuoso composer-pianist Charles Valentin Alkan (1813-1888). Judaic culture, the French baroque and German classicism were the main influences on Alkan's musical style, with more radical musical tendencies found in many of the Esquisses op 63. This comprehensive survey takes as its focus a stylistic analysis of Alkan's compositions from the apprentice works to the later 'massed style' etudes; the latter are of considerable length and pianistic difficulty. There is also consideration of Alkan's achievements as pianist and teacher, and the sections on performance practice in Alkan will be of interest to pianists today. A full investigation of Alkan's reception history is also included and useful appendices provide a guide to further archival research. A list of works and basic discography complete this new study of an important French composer.
- Author BiographyWilliam Alexander Eddie is an Associate Lecturer in Music for The Open University and for Edinburgh University (Continuing Education). He is a pianist and accompanist and is Senior Examiner in Music for London College of Music.
- Author(s)Dr. William Alexander Eddie
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication21/06/2007
- SubjectMusic & Dance
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintAshgate Publishing Limited
- Content NoteIncludes 11 b&w illustrations and 81 music examples
- Weight580 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine18 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $14.11Trending at AU $24.23
- AU $14.50Trending at AU $17.16
- AU $8.59Trending at AU $13.95
- AU $15.52Trending at AU $23.37
- AU $30.82Trending at AU $34.97
- AU $32.75Trending at AU $55.45
- AU $91.99Trending at AU $99.82
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.