All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $90.88Trending at AU $92.76
- AU $28.69Trending at AU $30.73
- AU $52.98Trending at AU $78.60
- AU $44.48Trending at AU $51.92
- AU $78.77Trending at AU $115.92
- AU $34.28Trending at AU $38.56
- AU $44.27Trending at AU $52.71
About this product
- DescriptionCharter schools have been promoted as an equitable and invative solution to the problems plaguing urban schools. Advocates claim that charter schools benefit working-class students of color by offering them access to a portfolio of school choices. In Charter Schools, Race, and Urban Space, Kristen Buras presents a very different account. Her case study of New Orleans-where veteran teachers were fired en masse and the nation's first all-charter school district was developed-shows that such reform is less about the needs of racially oppressed communities and more about the production of an urban space ecomy in which white entrepreneurs capitalize on black children and neighborhoods. In this revealing book, Buras draws on critical theories of race, political ecomy, and space, as well as a decade of research on the ground to expose the criminal dispossession of black teachers and students who have contributed to New Orleans' culture and history. Mapping federal, state, and local policy networks, she shows how the city's landscape has been reshaped by a strategic venture to privatize public education. She likewise chronicles grassroots efforts to defend historic schools and neighborhoods against this assault, revealing a commitment to equity and place and articulating a vision of change that is sure to inspire heated debate among communities nationwide.
- Author BiographyKristen Buras is an Associate Professor in the Department of Educational Policy Studies at Georgia State University. She is the author of Rightist Multiculturalism and coeditor of The Subaltern Speak. She is also cofounder and director of Urban South Grassroots Research Collective for Public Education.
- Author(s)Kristen L. Buras
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication12/08/2013
- SubjectEducation & Teaching
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Note3 black & white tables
- Weight453 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine18 mm
- Format DetailsUnsewn / adhesive bound
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.