All listings for this product
Save on Textbooks
- AU $13.75Trending at AU $17.77
- AU $69.53Trending at AU $85.78
- AU $56.99Trending at AU $71.10
- AU $35.12Trending at AU $54.44
- AU $17.60Trending at AU $22.00
- AU $29.91Trending at AU $39.03
- AU $35.62Trending at AU $37.37
About this product
- DescriptionFor the entire history of human civilization, gold has enraptured people around the globe. The Nazis was less enthralled by it, and felt that gold was the solution to funding Hitler's war machine. Gold was also on the mind of FDR across the Atlantic, as he worked with Europe's other leaders to bring the United States and the rest of the world out of a severe depression. FDR was hardly the first head of state to turn to gold in difficult times. Throughout history, it has been the refuge of both nations and people in trouble, working at times when thing else does. Desperate people can buy a loaf of bread or bribe a border guard. Gold can get desperate nations oil to keep tanks running or munitions to fight a war. If the price is right, there is always someone somewhere willing to buy or sell gold. And it was to become the Nazi's most important medium of exchange during the war. Chasing Gold is the story of how the Nazis attempted to grab Europe's gold to finance history's bloodiest war. It is filled with high drama and close escapes, laying bare the palate of human emotions. Walking through the tale are giants of world history, as well as ordinary people called upon to undertake heroic action in an extraordinary time.
- Author BiographyGeorge M. Taber is the author of the bestselling Judgment of Paris, which recounts the story of the famous 1976 event when unknown California wines defeated top French ones. Taber's second book, To Cork or Not to Cork, won the Jane Grigson Award and was a finalist for the James Beard Award. Before turning to writing books, Taber was a reporter and editor with TIME magazine for twenty-one years, based in Bonn, Paris, Houston, and New York.
- Author(s)George M. Taber
- PublisherPegasus Books
- Date of Publication01/04/2016
- SubjectMilitary History
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintPegasus Books
- Content Note8 pages of B&W photographs
- Weight580 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine38 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.