All listings for this product
Best-selling in Other Children & Young Adults
Save on Other Children & Young Adults
- AU $13.45Trending at AU $16.56
- AU $12.90Trending at AU $15.86
- AU $10.54Trending at AU $13.65
- AU $15.95Trending at AU $18.91
- AU $7.38Trending at AU $10.71
- AU $11.83Trending at AU $17.52
- AU $32.94Trending at AU $34.41
About this product
- DescriptionWhen a beautiful teen with polio enters their lives, a girl and her older brother find themselves drawn into a web of lies in this compelling vel by a best-selling author. Eleven-year-old Georgie loves science-fiction movies, but she won't be going to the theater anytime soon. It's a hot Indiana summer in 1952, and public places from pools to camps are closing to slow the spread of polio. Despite all the headlines, Georgie never thought she'd come as close to the fearful disease as she does when she spies a silver glint in her neighbor's yard. There she discovers a monstrous, hissing machine, and inside is Phyllis, a girl encased in an iron lung. I have eighty-seven cubic centimeters of air, but you have the world, Phyllis tells her. Phyllis's ability to breathe may be limited, but her strength to manipulate is boundless. As Georgie struggles to comprehend this once-gorgeous teenager's life in a coffin with legs, Phyllis slowly weaves a web of lies that snare all those around her, including Georgie's quickly smitten brother. Can Georgie untangle the truth before Phyllis's deception achieves its inevitable end?
- Author BiographyKathryn Lasky is the author of many acclaimed fiction and nonfiction books, including ONE BEETLE TOO MANY: THE EXTRAORDINARY ADVENTURES OF CHARLES DARWIN and SUGARING TIME, a Newbery Honor Book. She lives in Cambridge, Massachusetts.
- Author(s)Lasky Kathryn
- PublisherCandlewick Press,U.S.
- Date of Publication11/05/2010
- SubjectChildren's Fiction
- Place of PublicationMassachusetts
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintCandlewick Press,U.S.
- Weight458 g
- Width138 mm
- Height193 mm
- Spine30 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.