All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $85.57
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $72.97
- AU $74.00Trending at AU $85.24
- AU $46.34Trending at AU $48.13
- AU $81.00Trending at AU $84.05
- AU $20.00Trending at AU $28.33
- AU $31.65Trending at AU $34.30
About this product
- DescriptionUsing queer theory to untangle all types of nrmative sexual identities, Tison Pugh uses Chaucer s work to expose the ongoing tension in the Middle Ages between an erotic culture that glorified love as an enbling passion and an anti-erotic religious and philosophical tradition that denigrated love and (perhaps especially) its enactments. Chaucer s (Anti-)Eroticisms and the Queer Middle Ages considers the many ways in which anti-eroticisms complicate the conventional image of Chaucer. With chapters addressing such topics as mutual masochism, homosocial brotherhood, necrotic erotics, queer families, and the eroticisms of Chaucer s God, Chaucer s (Anti-)Eroticisms will forever change the way readers see the Canterbury Tales and Chaucer s other masterpieces. For Chaucer, erotic pursuits establish the thrust and ter of many of his narratives, as they also expose the frustrations inherent in pursuing desires frowned upon by the religious foundations of Western medieval culture. One cant love freely within an ideological framework that polices sexuality and privileges the anti-erotic Christian ideals of virginity and chastity, yet loving queerly creates escapes from social structures inimical to amour and its expressions in the medieval period. Thus Chaucer is t just England s foundational love poet, he is also England s foundational queer poet.
- Author BiographyTison Pugh is professor of English at University of Central Florida.
- Author(s)Professor Tison Pugh
- PublisherOhio State University Press
- Date of Publication30/09/2014
- SubjectLiterary Criticism
- Series TitleInterventions: New Studies in Medieval Culture
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintOhio State University Press
- Weight476 g
- Width162 mm
- Height236 mm
- Spine20 mm
- Format DetailsSewn,Paper over boards
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.