All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $56.99Trending at AU $71.19
- AU $13.90Trending at AU $17.77
- AU $29.08Trending at AU $33.18
- AU $30.74Trending at AU $37.24
- AU $23.32Trending at AU $32.85
- AU $71.09Trending at AU $79.99
- AU $50.05Trending at AU $66.59
About this product
- DescriptionThe English language has changed dramatically over the past 500 years, making it increasingly difficult for students to read Chaucer's works. Assuming previous linguistic kwledge or familiarity with Middle English, Simon Horobin introduces students to Chaucer's language and the importance of reading Chaucer in the original, rather than modern translation. Chaucer's Language - leads the reader gently through basic linguistic concepts with appropriate explanation - highlights how Chaucer's English differs from present-day English, and the significance of this for interpreting and understanding his work - provides close analysis and comparison with the writings of Chaucer's contemporaries to show how Chaucer drew on the variety of Middle English to achieve particular poetic effects - includes sample texts, a glossary of linguistic termilogy, a bibliography and suggestions for further reading to aid study. Authoritative and easy-to-follow, this is an indispensable guide to understanding, appreciating and enjoying the language of Chaucer.
- Author BiographySIMON HOROBIN is Professor of English Language and Literature at the University of Oxford, UK, and a Fellow of Magdalen College. He is the author of An Introduction to Middle English and The Language of the Chaucer Tradition, which was awarded the English Association's Beatrice White Prize for outstanding scholarly work in the field of Medieval and Renaissance studies.
- Author(s)Simon Horobin
- PublisherPalgrave Macmillan
- Date of Publication18/10/2012
- SubjectLiterary Criticism
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- First Published2006
- ImprintPalgrave Macmillan
- Content Note8 black & white illustrations, biography
- Weight302 g
- Width155 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine14 mm
- Edition Statement2nd Revised edition
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.