All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $35.79Trending at AU $43.25
- AU $9.20Trending at AU $15.72
- AU $18.19Trending at AU $21.61
- AU $30.28Trending at AU $33.86
- AU $43.40Trending at AU $47.45
- AU $24.18Trending at AU $36.34
- AU $43.28Trending at AU $48.33
About this product
- DescriptionSerpins (serine protease inhibitors) are a superfamily of proteins whose physiologi- cal action is primarily targeted to inhibiting serine proteases. There are instances where serpins are t inhibitors (and can carry steroid hormones for instance), yet key structural and functional elements found in all serpins are maintained in these 'n-inhibitor' ser- pins. Many serpins have well-described biological properties which influence pathophysi- ological events, including: antithrombin (historically called antithrombin III), ai-protease inhibitor (historically called ai-antitrypsin), and plasmigen activator inhibitor-I, just to mention a few. A deficiency or defect in antithrombin leads to veus thromboembolic disease, while a deficiency or defect in ai-protease inhibitor is associated with chronic obstructive pulmonary emphysema. In contrast, it has been suggested that increased levels of plasmigen activator inhibitor-l may be a predisposition to myocardial infarction. The list goes on for each of our own favorite serpin. The biological roles found for serpins are key participants in almost every physiological event. In other words, serine proteases are needed for many events in biology and the role of serpins to down regulate these pro- teases is essential. Thus, just using these three examples above for serpins and their patho- physiological roles reminds us that the medical costs to control such events is significant worldwide.
- PublisherSpringer-Verlag New York Inc.
- Date of Publication29/10/2012
- SubjectMedicine: General
- Series TitleAdvances in Experimental Medicine and Biology
- Series Part/Volume Number425
- Place of PublicationNew York, NY
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintSpringer-Verlag New York Inc.
- Content Notebiography
- Weight721 g
- Width178 mm
- Height254 mm
- Spine20 mm
- Edited byDavid Ginsburg,Dennis D. Cunningham,Douglas M. Tollefsen,Frank C. Church,Maureane R. Hoffman,Stuart R. Stone
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
- Edition StatementSoftcover reprint of the original 1st ed. 1997
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.