All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis Very Short Introduction provides an up-to-date, authoritative, and accessible guide to modern child psychology, from birth to early adolescence. Beginning with infancy, Usha Goswami considers the process of attachment and 'bonding', showing how secure attachments enable the development of self-understanding. Exploring childhood learning, ranging from aspects of language and thinking to cognitive reasoning, Goswami looks at how babies and toddlers develop an understanding of the physical, biological, and social worlds, and develop complex abilities like language and morality. Demonstrating how learning is shaped by the environments surrounding the child; at home, school, with peers, and in wider society, Goswami emphasizes the importance of childhood friendships and siblings for psychological development. Introducing the key theories in child psychology, Goswami explains why children develop as they do and how society can further optimize their development through the adolescent years. ABOUT THE SERIES: The Very Short Introductions series from Oxford University Press contains hundreds of titles in almost every subject area. These pocket-sized books are the perfect way to get ahead in a new subject quickly. Our expert authors combine facts, analysis, perspective, new ideas, and enthusiasm to make interesting and challenging topics highly readable.
- Author BiographyUsha Goswami is currently Professor of Cognitive Developmental Neuroscience at the University of Cambridge, and Director of the Centre for Neuroscience in Education at Cambridge. She has received a number of career awards, including the British Psychology Society's Spearman Medal (1992) and President's Award (2011); the Aspen Brain Forum Senior Investigator Prize in Neuroeducation, New York Academy of Sciences; and the Norman Geschwind-Rodin Prize for dyslexia research from Sweden. Goswami has written and edited a number of textbooks on child psychology, and has also written books on reading development and reasoning by analogy. She is a Fellow of the British Academy.
- Author(s)Usha Claire Goswami
- PublisherOxford University Press
- Date of Publication27/11/2014
- SubjectPsychology: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Series TitleVery Short Introductions
- Place of PublicationOxford
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintOxford University Press
- Content NoteApprox 12 black and white illustrations
- Weight120 g
- Width114 mm
- Height174 mm
- Spine7 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $90.88Trending at AU $92.76
- AU $28.69Trending at AU $30.73
- AU $52.98Trending at AU $78.60
- AU $44.48Trending at AU $51.92
- AU $78.77Trending at AU $115.92
- AU $34.28Trending at AU $38.56
- AU $44.27Trending at AU $52.71
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.