All listings for this product
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $34.26Trending at AU $43.71
- AU $65.99Trending at AU $74.18
- AU $99.99Trending at AU $113.10
- AU $79.99Trending at AU $83.35
- AU $16.95Trending at AU $29.47
- AU $13.31Trending at AU $15.81
- AU $17.71Trending at AU $19.63
About this product
- DescriptionSatirical and yet compassionate, Childish Things begins with a funeral at which Gregor McLeod, a retired school-master aged 72, is mourning the death of his wife Kate. It soon becomes evident, however, that McLeod has been something of a womaniser and, despite his very recent (and heartfelt) bereavement, is being pursued by an assortment of attractive women. Jenkins proceeds to explore McLeod's adventurous escapades with these ladies both at home and abroad. The result is a tremendously compelling comic vel which retains all the sharpness, wit and pace that is customary from Jenkins, combined with a mellow, wry wisdom that never fails to entertain. His central theme, do we ever outgrow 'childish things'?, is explored with captivating insight and delicious humour. This is a gloriously readable vel from a consummate storyteller.
- Author BiographyAuthor of a number of landmark novels including The Cone Gatherers, The Changeling, Happy for the Child, The Thistle and the Grail and Guests of War, Jenkins is rapidly attaining recognition as one of Scotland's greatest writers. The themes of good and evil, of innocence lost, of fraudulence, cruelty and redemption shine through his work. His novels, shot through with ambiguity, are rarely about what they seem. He published his first book, So Gaily Sings the Lark, at the age of thirty-eight, and by the time of his death in 2005, over thirty of his novels were in print.
- Author(s)Robin Jenkins
- PublisherCanongate Books Ltd
- Date of Publication02/05/2002
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Place of PublicationEdinburgh
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintCanongate Books Ltd
- Weight210 g
- Width130 mm
- Height199 mm
- Spine17 mm
- Format DetailsB-format paperback
- Edition StatementMain
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.