Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $85.78
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $73.15
- AU $74.00Trending at AU $85.45
- AU $41.64Trending at AU $45.02
- AU $79.95Trending at AU $91.32
- AU $46.38Trending at AU $48.26
- AU $81.00Trending at AU $84.26
About this product
- DescriptionWe are fascinated by text and we are fascinated by reading. Is this because we are in a time of textual change? Given that young people always seem to be in the vanguard of techlogical change, questions about what and how they read are the subject of intense debate. Children as Readers in Children's Literature explores these questions by looking at the literature that is written for children and young people to see what it tells us about them as readers. The contributors to this book are a group of distinguished children's literature scholars, literacy and media specialists who contemplate the multiple images of children as readers and how they reflect the power and purpose of texts and literacy. Contributors to this wide-ranging text consider: * How books shape the readers we become * Cognitive and affective responses to representation of books and reading * The relationship between love-stories and reading as a cultural activity * Reading as 'Protection and Enlightenment' * Picturebooks as stage sets for acts of reading * Readers' perceptions of a writer This portrayal of books and reading also reveals adults' beliefs about childhood and literacy and how they are changing. It is a theme of crucial significance in the shaping of future generations of readers given these beliefs influence t only ideas about the teaching of literature but also about the role of digital techlogies. This text is a must-read for any individual interested in the importance of keeping literature alive through reading.
- Author BiographyEvelyn Arizpe is a Senior Lecturer at the School of Education, University of Glasgow, UK. Vivienne Smith is Lecturer in the School of Education at the University of Strathclyde, UK.
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication01/10/2015
- SubjectLiterary Criticism
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Note5 black & white halftones
- Weight236 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine13 mm
- Edited byEvelyn Arizpe,Vivienne Smith
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.