All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIn the past sixty years, relations between China and the United States have fluctuated wildly. Such divisive issues as human rights, the future of Tibet and Taiwan, trade imbalances, and illegal immigration have fueled intense debate over how the United States should deal with the most populous nation in the world. Nancy Bernkopf Tucker brings together a wide range of interviews on these and other issues, recorded by the Association for Diplomatic Studies and Training, with key players in the making and execution of U.S. policy towards China since World War II. Historical events usch as Nixon's trip to China, the Tiananmen Massacre, and the recurring Taiwan Straits crises come to life as never before. Portraits of the essential personalities in Si-American relations emerge from the pages of China Confidential, including Mao Zedong, Henry Kissinger, Zhou Enlai, Ronald Reagan, Chiang Kai-shek, Chiang Ching-kuo, and Lee Teng-hui. This rich array of interviews provides the context for understanding the otherwise baffling diplomatic interaction between the United States and China, shedding light on the circumstances under which difficult and crucial decisions were reached and revealing the background and biases of the people who made and carried out those policies.
- Author BiographyNancy Bernkopf Tucker is professor of history at Georgetown University and the Georgetown School of Foreign Service. She is one of the nation's leading authorities on Sino-American relations and the author of Patterns in the Dust and Uncertain Friendships: Taiwan, Hong Kong, and the United States, winner of the Bernath Prize of the Society for Historians of American Foreign Relations.
- PublisherColumbia University Press
- Date of Publication13/12/2000
- SubjectInternational Relations
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintColumbia University Press
- Content Note1 map, ports.
- Weight771 g
- Width176 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine31 mm
- Edited byNancy Bernkopf Tucker
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Save on Textbooks
- AU $31.94Trending at AU $38.14
- AU $28.49Trending at AU $29.55
- AU $45.07Trending at AU $52.06
- AU $30.26Trending at AU $32.49
- AU $28.02Trending at AU $30.66
- AU $30.98Trending at AU $40.06
- AU $11.31Trending at AU $14.84
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.