All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionNEW YORK TIMES BESTSELLER NAMED ONE OF THE BEST BOOKS OF THE YEAR BY THE WASHINGTON POST Theauthor of Sw Flower and the Secret Fan, Peony in Love, and Shanghai Girls has garnered international acclaim for her great skill at rendering the intricate relationships of women and the complex meeting of history and fate. Now comes Lisa See s highly anticipated new vel, China Dolls. It s 1938 in San Francisco: a world s fair is preparing to open on Treasure Island, a war is brewing overseas, and the city is alive with possibilities. Grace, Helen, and Ruby, three young women from very different backgrounds, meet by chance at the exclusive and glamorous Forbidden City nightclub. Grace Lee, an American-born Chinese girl, has fled the Midwest with thing but heartache, talent, and a pair of dancing shoes. Helen Fong lives with her extended family in Chinatown, where her traditional parents insist that she guard her reputation like a piece of jade. The stunning Ruby Tom challenges the boundaries of convention at every turn with her defiant attitude and -holds-barred ambition. The girls become fast friends, relying on one ather through unexpected challenges and shifting fortunes. When their dark secrets are exposed and the invisible thread of fate binds them even tighter, they find the strength and resilience to reach for their dreams. But after the Japanese attack Pearl Harbor, paraia and suspicion threaten to destroy their lives, and a shocking act of betrayal changes everything. Praise for China Dolls Superb . . . This emotional, informative and brilliant page-turner resonates with resilience and humanity. The Washington Post This is one of those stories I ve always wanted to tell, but Lisa See beat me to it, and she did it better than I ever could. Bravo! Here s a roaring standing ovation for this heartwarming journey into the glittering golden age of Chinese nightclubs. Jamie Ford, author of Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet A fascinating portrait of life as a Chinese-American woman in the 1930s and 40s. The New York Times Book Review A sweeping, turbulent tale of passion, friendship, good fortune, bad fortune, perfidy and the hope of reconciliation. Los Angeles Times Lisa See masterfully creates unforgettable characters that linger in your memory long after you close the pages. Bookreporter Stellar . . . The depth of See s characters and her winning prose makes this book a wonderful journey through love and loss. Publishers Weekly (starred review) China Dolls plunges us into a fascinating history and offers an accessible meditation on themes that are still urgent in our contemporary world. San Francisco Chronicle China Dolls is [Lisa See s] most penetrating since Sw Flower and the Secret Fan. The Seattle Times A spellbinding portrait of a time burning with opportunity and mystery. O: The Oprah Magazine From the Hardcover edition.
- Author BiographyLisa See is the New York Times bestselling author of Dreams of Joy, Shanghai Girls, Peony in Love, Snow Flower and the Secret Fan, Flower Net (an Edgar Award nominee), The Interior, and Dragon Bones, as well as the critically acclaimed memoir On Gold Mountain. The Organization of Chinese American Women named her the 2001 National Woman of the Year. She lives in Los Angeles.
- Author(s)Lisa See
- PublisherRandom House USA Inc
- Date of Publication15/12/2014
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- First Published2014
- ImprintBantam Books Inc
- Weight544 g
- Width155 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine36 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
- Edition Statementlarge type edition
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $20.42Trending at AU $30.71
- AU $7.43Trending at AU $11.95
- AU $13.21Trending at AU $15.01
- AU $56.57Trending at AU $60.36
- AU $11.92Trending at AU $15.93
- AU $19.77Trending at AU $23.74
- AU $19.95Trending at AU $22.87
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.