China's Expansion into the Western Hemisphere: Implications for Latin America and the United States by Brookings Institution (Paperback, 2008)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $46.58Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by grey_elk_books_au_and_uk
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $23.34+ AU $4.99 postage
- Good condition
- Sold by whattaplace
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionWith President Hu Jintao's November 2004 visit to Latin America, China signaled to the rest of the world its growing interest in the region. Many observers welcome this development, highlighting the benefits of increased trade and investment, as well as diplomatic cooperation, for both sides. But other analysts have raised concerns about the relationship's impact on Latin American competitiveness and its implications for U.S. influence in Washington's traditional backyard. In China's Expansioninto the Western Hemisphere , experts from Latin America, China, and the United States, as well as Europe, analyze the history of this triangular relationship and the motivations of each of the major players. Several chapters focus on China's growing ecomic ties to the region, including Latin America's role in China's search for energy resources worldwide. Other essays highlight the geopolitical implications of Chinese hemispheric policy and set recent developments in the broader context of China's role in the developing world. Together, they provide an absorbing look at a particularly sensitive aspect of China's emergence as a world power. Contributors include Christopher Alden (London School of Ecomics), Robert Devlin (ECLAC), Francisco Gonzalez (Johns Hopkins-SAIS), Monica Hirst (Torcuato Di Tella University), Josh Kurlantzick (Carnegie Endowment for International Peace), Xiang Lanxin (Graduate Institute of International Studies, Geneva), Luisa Palacios (Barclays), Jiang Shixue (Chinese Academy of Social Sciences), Barbara Stallings (Brown University), Juan Tokatlian (San Andres University), and Zheng Kai (Fudan University).
- Author BiographyRiordan Roett is the Sarita and Don Johnston Professor of Political Science and director of Western Hemisphere Studies and the Latin American Studies program at the Paul H. Nitze School of Advanced International Studies (SAIS), Johns Hopkins University, Maryland, USA. Guadalupe Paz is associate director of the Latin American Studies Program at SAIS.
- PublisherBrookings Institution
- Date of Publication12/03/2008
- SubjectInternational Relations
- Place of PublicationWashington DC
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintBrookings Institution
- Content NoteIllustrations
- Weight399 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine19 mm
- Edited byGuadalupe Paz,Riordan Roett
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $81.40
- AU $166.94Trending at AU $170.82
- AU $105.90Trending at AU $118.00
- AU $98.79Trending at AU $109.01
- AU $104.89Trending at AU $107.40
- AU $49.76Trending at AU $52.58
- AU $92.78Trending at AU $105.95
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.