All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionChina s struggle for the rule of law is at a critical juncture. As a key element of governance in the PRC today, China s legal system affects t only domestic affairs but also China s engagement with the world. But can a credible legal system emerge which protects the rights of citizens and international partners without undermining the power of the Party State? And is the Chinese Communist Party willing to embark on judicial reforms that may jeopardize its very survival? Understanding the PRC legal system is increasingly important as China rises to prominence in the world. In this compelling analysis, ted legal scholar Pitman Potter examines the ideals and practices of China s legal regime, in light of international standards and local conditions. Against a rich historical backdrop, Potter explains how China s legal system supports three key policy objectives; namely, political stability, ecomic prosperity, and social development. In exploring these competing policy goals and the tensions between them, he also raises fundamental questions about government expectations of the role of law in regulating local and international socio-ecomic and political relationships. This wide-ranging and readable introduction will be an invaluable guide for students and n-specialists interested in China s ongoing process of legal modernization.
- Author BiographyPitman Potter is Professor of Law and HSBC Chair in Asian Research at the University of British Columbia.
- Author(s)Pitman B. Potter
- PublisherPolity Press
- Date of Publication20/09/2013
- SubjectNational Law: Professional
- Place of PublicationOxford
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintPolity Press
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight454 g
- Width154 mm
- Height209 mm
- Spine30 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $47.31Trending at AU $49.44
- AU $77.99Trending at AU $116.29
- AU $70.18Trending at AU $77.15
- AU $74.53Trending at AU $76.54
- AU $35.45Trending at AU $39.03
- AU $26.74Trending at AU $37.56
- AU $17.67Trending at AU $23.05
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.