All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIn 1989, students marched on Tiananmen Square demanding democratic reform. The Communist Party responded with a massacre, but it was jolted into restructuring the ecomy and overhauling the education of its young citizens. A generation later, Chinese youth are a world apart from those who converged at Tiananmen. Brought up with lofty expectations, they've been accustomed to unprecedented opportunities on the back of China's ecomic boom. But today, China's growth is slowing and its demographics rapidly shifting, with the boom years giving way to a painful hangover. Immersed in this transition, Eric Fish, a millennial himself, profiles youth from around the country and how they are navigating the education system, the workplace, divisive social issues, and a resurgence in activism. Based on interviews with scholars, journalists, and hundreds of young Chinese, his engrossing book challenges the idea that today's youth have been pacified by material comforts and nationalism. Following rural Henan students struggling to get into college, a computer prodigy who sparked a nationwide patriotic uproar, and young social activists grappling with authorities, Fish deftly captures youthful struggle, disillusionment, and rebellion in a system that is scrambling to keep them in line-and, increasingly, scrambling to adapt when its youth refuse to conform.
- Author BiographyEric Fish is a freelance writer who lived in China from 2007 to 2014 as a teacher, student, and journalist. After earning his master's degree from Tsinghua University, he worked as a reporter for the Economic Observer in Beijing and founded the blog Sinostand.com. He currently writes for the Asia Society in New York City.
- Author(s)Eric Fish
- PublisherRowman & Littlefield
- Date of Publication04/06/2015
- SubjectRegional History
- Place of PublicationLanham, MD
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintRowman & Littlefield Publishers
- Content Note15 black & white halftones
- Weight553 g
- Width161 mm
- Height236 mm
- Spine25 mm
- Format DetailsWith dust jacket
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $74.23Trending at AU $76.09
- AU $35.55Trending at AU $38.80
- AU $31.87Trending at AU $37.29
- AU $10.39Trending at AU $15.38
- AU $37.63Trending at AU $38.56
- AU $26.33Trending at AU $51.27
- AU $30.79Trending at AU $36.54
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.