All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis mograph focuses on Christian Goddess Spirituality (CGS), the phemen of (mostly) women who combine Christianity and Goddess Spirituality, including Wicca/Witchcraft. Mary Ann Beavis's study provides ethgraphic data and analysis on the lived religious experience of CGS practitioners, drawing on interviews of over 100 women who self-identify as combining Christianity and Goddess spirituality. Although CGS also has implications for Goddess Spirituality and related traditions (e.g., Neopaganism, Wicca), here, CGS is considered primarily as a phemen within Christianity. However, the study also shows that the fusion of Christian and Goddess spiritualties has had an impact on n-Christian feminist spirituality, since Goddess-worshippers have often constructed Christianity as the diametrical opposite and enemy of the Goddess, to the point that some refuse to admit the possibility that CGS is a valid spiritual path, or that it is even possible. In addition, biblical, Jewish and Christian images of the divine such as Sophia, Shekhinah, the Virgin Mary, and even Mary Magdalene, have found their way into the Pagan Goddess pantheon. The main themes of the study include: overlaps and differences between Christian feminist theology and CGS; the routes to CGS for individual practitioners, and their beliefs, practices and experiences; proto-deminational classifications ( spiritual paths ) within CGS; CGS thealogy (Christian discourse about the female divine); and the future of CGS in social scientific and ecclesiological context. Christian Goddess Spirituality will be of interest to scholars of religion, especially those with interests in women and religion, feminist spiritualities, feminist theology/thealogy, alternative spiritualities, New Religious Movements, and emergent Christianities.
- Author BiographyMary Ann Beavis is Professor at St. Thomas More College, the University of Saskatchewan, Canada, and is Founding Editor of the Journal of Religion and Popular Culture.
- Author(s)Mary Ann Beavis
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication22/10/2015
- SubjectAlternative Belief Systems
- Series TitleGender, Theology & Spirituality
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Note13 black & white illustrations, 1 black & white tables, 12 black & white halftones
- Weight430 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine15 mm
Save on Textbooks
- AU $26.38Trending at AU $38.14
- AU $28.49Trending at AU $29.55
- AU $45.07Trending at AU $52.06
- AU $30.26Trending at AU $32.49
- AU $28.02Trending at AU $30.66
- AU $30.98Trending at AU $40.06
- AU $11.31Trending at AU $14.84
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.