All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe history of relations between Jews and Christians has been a long, complex and often unsettled one; yet histories of medieval Christendom have traditionally paid only passing attention to the role played by Jews in a predominantly Christian society. This book provides an original survey of medieval Christian-Jewish relations encompassing England, Spain, France and Germany, and sheds light in the process on the major developments in medieval history between 1000 and 1300. Anna Sapir Abulafia's balanced yet humane account offers a new perspective on Christian-Jewish relations by analysing the theological, socio-ecomic and political services Jews were required to render to medieval Christendom. The nature of Jewish service varied greatly as Christian rulers struggled to reconcile the desire to profit from the presence of Jewish men and women in their lands with conflicting theological tions about Judaism. Jews meanwhile had to deal with the many competing authorities and interests in the localities in which they lived; their continued presence hinged on a fine balance between theology and pragmatism. The book examines the impact of the Crusades on Christian-Jewish relations and analyses how anti-Jewish libels were used to define relations. Making adept use of both Latin and Hebrew sources, Abulafia draws on liturgical and exegetical material, and narrative, polemical and legal sources, to give a vivid and accurate sense of how Christians interacted with Jews and Jews with Christians.
- Author BiographyAnna Sapir Abulafia is a Fellow and College Lecturer in History at Lucy Cavendish College at the University of Cambridge. She is an international authority on the Christian-Jewish debate and her books on the subject include Christians and Jews in the Twelfth-Century Renaissance (1995) and Christians and Jews in Dispute (1998).
- Author(s)Anna Sapir Abulafia
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication31/08/2006
- SubjectRegional History
- Series TitleThe Medieval World
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Notemaps
- Weight442 g
- Width162 mm
- Height231 mm
- Spine16 mm
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $17.90Trending at AU $23.01
- AU $62.03Trending at AU $75.38
- AU $32.85Trending at AU $36.70
- AU $37.69Trending at AU $48.07
- AU $30.58Trending at AU $37.48
- AU $17.43Trending at AU $19.79
- AU $44.07Trending at AU $51.53
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.