All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionChristianity and monasticism have flourished along the Nile Valley in the Sohag region of Upper Egypt from as early as the fourth century until the present day. The contributors to this volume, international specialists in Coptology from around the world, examine various aspects of Coptic civilization in the Upper Egyptian goverrate of Sohag over the past seventeen hundred years. Many of the studies center on the person and legacy of the great Coptic saint, Sheute the Archimandrite (348-466 CE), looking at his preserved writings, his life, his place in Pachomian monasticism, his relations with the patriarchs in Alexandria, and the life in his monastic system. Other studies deal with the art, architecture, and archaeology of the two great monasteries that he founded and the archaeological and artistic heritage of the region.
- Author BiographyGawdat Gabra is the author or editor of numerous books on Egyptian Christianity, including Christianity and Monasticism in the Fayoum Oasis (AUC Press, 2005). Hany N. Takla is the founding president of the Saint Shenouda the Archimandrite Coptic Society.
- PublisherThe American University in Cairo Press
- Date of Publication01/01/2008
- SubjectChristianity: General
- Place of PublicationCairo
- Country of PublicationEgypt
- ImprintThe American University in Cairo Press
- Content Note40 b/w illustrations
- Weight816 g
- Width157 mm
- Height236 mm
- Spine28 mm
- Edited byGawdat Gabra,Hany Takla
Save on Textbooks
- AU $56.51Trending at AU $57.15
- AU $69.88Trending at AU $71.29
- AU $32.44Trending at AU $38.14
- AU $53.34Trending at AU $59.06
- AU $28.48Trending at AU $29.55
- AU $45.07Trending at AU $52.06
- AU $33.00Trending at AU $35.68
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.