All listings for this product
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $16.82Trending at AU $17.35
- AU $66.82Trending at AU $74.89
- AU $89.13Trending at AU $104.01
- AU $59.99Trending at AU $70.87
- AU $13.21Trending at AU $15.50
- AU $23.99Trending at AU $25.75
- AU $10.20Trending at AU $13.49
About this product
- Description<i>Christmas Pudding </i>and <i>Pigeon Pie </i>are two sparkling comedies from early in the career of Nancy Mitford, beloved author of <i>The Pursuit of Love </i>and <i>Love in a Cold Climate, </i>here publishedin one volume with a new introduction by Jane Smiley. In <i>Christmas Pudding</i>, an array of colorful characters converge on the hunt-obsessed Lady Bobbin s country house, including her rebellious daughter Philadelphia, the girl s pompous suitor, a couple of children obsessed with newspaper death tices, and an aspiring writer whose serious first vel has been acclaimed as the funniest book of the year, to his utter dismay. In <i>Pigeon Pie</i>, set at the outbreak of World War II, Lady Sophia Garfield dreams of becoming a beautiful spy but manages t to tice a nest of German agents right under her se, until the murder of her maid and kidnapping of her beloved bulldog force them on her attention, with heroic results. Delivered with a touch lighter than that of Mitford s later masterpieces but less entertaining, these comedies combine glamour, wit, and fiendishly absurd plots into irresistible literary confections.
- Author Biography<b>Nancy Mitford</b>, daughter of Lord and Lady Redesdale and the eldest of the six legendary Mitford sisters, was born in 1904 and educated at home on the family estate in Oxfordshire. She made her debut in London and soon became one of the bright young things of the 1920s, a close friend of Henry Green, Evelyn Waugh, John Betjeman, and their circle. A beauty and a wit, she began writing for magazines and writing novels while she was still in her twenties. In all, she wrote eight novels as well as biographies of Madame de Pompadour, Voltaire, Louis XIV, and Frederick the Great. She died in 1973. More information can be found at www.nancymitford.com.
- Author(s)Nancy Mitford
- PublisherVintage Books
- Date of Publication24/09/2013
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintVintage Books
- Weight281 g
- Width135 mm
- Height202 mm
- Spine20 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.