Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $9.86Trending at AU $16.98
- AU $7.99Trending at AU $8.27
- AU $11.51Trending at AU $18.89
- AU $24.83Trending at AU $25.37
- AU $66.30Trending at AU $75.12
- AU $31.51Trending at AU $37.08
- AU $25.48Trending at AU $28.39
About this product
- DescriptionThe delightful and touching stories in <em>Christmas in Nevada</em> tell how Nevadans have celebrated the holiday, from 1858 to the present day. Some are told by well-kwn Nevadans, such as Samuel Clemens (Mark Twain), Robert Laxalt, and former goverrs Bob List and Richard Bryan, but much more of the book shows ordinary Nevadans celebrating in diverse ways the wonders of the season. The range of the state's ethnic and immigrant heritage is showcased by stories of Basque, Mexican American, Native American, and African American celebrations, along with traditions of Italian, German, Danish, and Serbian origin.<br><br>Some of the more unusual accounts include the story of three miners trapped underground for forty-five days during the Christmas season, Topah's Nevergreen tree, and Re's Santa Pub Crawl with thousands of costumed revellers. Through extensive research and personal interviews, Patricia D. Cafferata has created a heart-warming collection of stories, guaranteed to be treasured. Whether Santa arrives on a sleigh in a mining camp in Silver Peak, Esmeralda County, or a zip line down Fremont Street, Las Vegas, <em>Christmas in Nevada</em> brings warm memories, excitement, and good cheer.
- Author Biography<strong>Patricia D. Cafferata</strong> has served in the Nevada Assembly, as Nevada state treasurer, and as district attorney of Lincoln, Lander, and Esmeralda Counties. She is co-author with her mother of <em>Barbara F. Vucanovich: From Nevada to Congress, and Back Again</em>. A lifelong resident of Reno, her columns on local history have been collected in three volumes of <em>Tales of the Biggest Little City in the World</em>.
- Author(s)Patricia D. Cafferata
- PublisherUniversity of Nevada Press
- Date of Publication30/10/2014
- SubjectHistory: Specific Subjects
- Place of PublicationReno
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Nevada Press
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations, frontispiece
- Weight612 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine23 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.