All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionOffering a behind-the-scenes look into the world of automotive research and development in the 1960s, this engaging narrative traces the birth of Chrysler's alternative 'jet' car and reveals the story behind its sudden and mysterious demise. Relying on extensive research and firsthand accounts from surviving members of the turbine car program - including the metallurgist who created the exotic metals for the engine and the test driver who drove it at Chrysler's proving grounds - this chronicle documents the bold development of an automobile with a jet turbine engine. In addition to running well on virtually any flammable liquid - including kerosene, vodka, heating oil, and Chanel N 5 perfume - the pioneering engines had one fifth the number of moving parts and required less maintenance than conventional engines. Despite the fleet's amazing performance over millions of miles by test drivers, Chrysler pulled the plug on the project and crushed almost all of the cars.
- Author BiographySteve Lehto is an adjunct professor at University of Detroit Mercy. His book Death s Door: The Truth Behind Michigan s Largest Mass Murder was named a Michigan Notable book in 2007.
- Author(s)Steve Lehto
- PublisherZephyr Press
- Date of Publication16/11/2010
- SubjectRoad & Motor Vehicles: General Interest
- Place of PublicationArizona
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintZephyr Press
- Content Note30 b/w photos
- Weight494 g
- Width155 mm
- Height230 mm
- Spine22 mm
Save on Textbooks
- AU $56.51Trending at AU $57.15
- AU $69.88Trending at AU $71.29
- AU $32.44Trending at AU $38.14
- AU $53.34Trending at AU $59.06
- AU $28.48Trending at AU $29.55
- AU $45.07Trending at AU $52.06
- AU $33.00Trending at AU $35.68
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.