All listings for this product
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $62.03Trending at AU $72.93
- AU $23.60Trending at AU $29.65
- AU $33.00Trending at AU $36.60
- AU $37.69Trending at AU $47.93
- AU $30.86Trending at AU $32.07
- AU $23.80Trending at AU $32.73
- AU $16.92Trending at AU $22.07
About this product
- DescriptionJohn Keegan has assembled a cast of seventeen generals whose reputations were made (and some of them broken) by Churchill and the Second World War. Churchill's reputation as prime minister during the Second World War fluctuated according to the successes and failures of his generals. Most of them were household names, and often heroes, during the war years. All of them were prey to the intolerance, interference, irascibility - and the inspiration - of the man who wanted to be both the general in the field and the presiding strategic genius. He sacked his warlords ruthlessly, yet in the end he came to be served by perhaps the greatest generals this country has ever produced. Includes chapters on Wavell, Ironside, Ritchie, Auchinleck, Montgomery, Alexander, Percival, Wingate, Slim and Carton de Wiart. Note: The Publisher regrets that the biographical te for Gary Sheffield is incorrect in the book. Please refer to the Orion website (www.orionbooks.co.uk) for the correct version.
- Author BiographyBritain's most distinguished military historian and senior lecturer at the Royal Military Academy at Sandhurst for many years, Sir John Keegan is the author of THE FACE OF BATTLE, widely considered a classic of military history. His other books include THE MASK OF COMMAND, THE PRICE OF ADMIRALTY, SIX ARMIES IN NORMANDY and THE SECOND WORLD WAR. His book THE HISTORY OF WARFARE sold 60,000 copies in the US and 25,000 in the UK. He is Defence Editor of The Daily Telegraph and was knighted in 2000.
- PublisherOrion Publishing Co
- Date of Publication12/05/2005
- SubjectMilitary History
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintCassell Military
- Content Note8
- Weight323 g
- Width129 mm
- Height199 mm
- Spine23 mm
- Edited byJohn Keegan
- Format DetailsB-format paperback
- Interest AgeFrom 16 To 99
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.