All listings for this product
Best-selling in Audio Books
Save on Audio Books
- AU $22.33Trending at AU $23.48
- AU $28.19Trending at AU $28.50
- AU $17.27Trending at AU $22.57
- AU $45.43Trending at AU $49.49
- AU $45.84Trending at AU $48.34
- AU $18.02Trending at AU $28.39
- AU $35.89Trending at AU $37.02
About this product
- DescriptionNEW YORK TIMES BESTSELLER NAMED ONE OF THE BEST BOOKS OF THE YEAR BY NPR, BOOKPAGE, AND SHELF AWARENESS Paula McLain is considered the new star of historical fiction, and for good reason. Fans of The Paris Wife will be captivated by Circling the Sun, which . . . is both beautifully written and utterly engrossing. Ann Patchett, Country Living Paula McLain, author of the phemenal bestseller The Paris Wife, w returns with her keenly anticipated new vel, transporting readers to colonial Kenya in the 1920s. Circling the Sun brings to life a fearless and captivating woman Beryl Markham, a record-setting aviator caught up in a passionate love triangle with safari hunter Denys Finch Hatton and Karen Blixen, who as Isak Dinesen wrote the classic memoir Out of Africa. Brought to Kenya from England as a child and then abandoned by her mother, Beryl is raised by both her father and the native Kipsigis tribe who share his estate. Her unconventional upbringing transforms Beryl into a bold young woman with a fierce love of all things wild and an inherent understanding of nature s delicate balance. But even the wild child must grow up, and when everything Beryl kws and trusts dissolves, she is catapulted into a string of disastrous relationships. Beryl forges her own path as a horse trainer, and her uncommon style attracts the eye of the Happy Valley set, a decadent, bohemian community of European expats who also live and love by their own set of rules. But it s the ruggedly charismatic Denys Finch Hatton who ultimately helps Beryl navigate the uncharted territory of her own heart. The intensity of their love reveals Beryl s truest self and her fate: to fly. Set against the majestic landscape of early-twentieth-century Africa, McLain s powerful tale reveals the extraordinary adventures of a woman before her time, the exhilaration of freedom and its cost, and the tenacity of the human spirit. Praise for Circling the Sun In McLain s confident hands, Beryl Markham crackles to life, and we readers truly understand what made a woman so far ahead of her time believe she had the power to soar. Jodi Picoult, author of Leaving Time Enchanting . . . a worthy heir to [Isak] Dinesen . . . Like Africa as it s so gorgeously depicted here, this vel will never let you go. The Boston Globe Famed aviator Beryl Markham is a velist s dream. . . . [A] wonderful portrait of a complex woman who lived defiantly on her own terms. People (Book of the Week) Circling the Sun soars. Newsday Captivating . . . [an] irresistible vel. The Seattle Times Like its high-flying subject, Circling the Sun is audacious and glamorous and hard t to be drawn in by. Beryl Markham may have married more than once, but she was body s wife. Entertainment Weekly [An] eloquent evocation of Beryl s daring life. O: The Oprah Magazine Markham s life is the stuff of legend. . . . McLain has created a voice that is lush and intricate to evoke a character who is enviably brave and independent. NPR Bold, absorbing fiction. New York Daily News Paula McLain has such a gift for bringing characters to life. I loved discovering the singular Beryl Markham, with all her strengths and passions and complexities. Jojo Moyes, author of Me Before You From the Hardcover edition.
- Author BiographyPaula McLain is the author of the novels The Paris Wife and A Ticket to Ride, the memoir Like Family: Growing Up in Other People s Houses, and two collections of poetry. She has received fellowships from Yaddo, the MacDowell Colony, and the National Endowment for the Arts. She lives in Cleveland with her family.
- Author(s)Paula McLain
- PublisherRandom House USA Inc
- Date of Publication15/08/2015
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintRandom House Inc
- Weight272 g
- Width130 mm
- Height150 mm
- Spine30 mm
- Read byKatharine McEwan
- Contained items statement10 Audio CDs
- Format DetailsCD standard audio format
- Running Time750
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.