All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionWhat made cities 'modern' in the nineteenth and early twentieth centuries? Cities in Modernity explores connections between culture, ecomy and built environment in cities of this period, drawing its evidence principally from London, New York and Toronto. The book discusses both the cultural experience of modernity and the material modernization of cities, placing special emphasis on their historical geographies, on the production, representation and use of urban space. The opening chapters present new ways of seeing cities in political and religious discourse, social survey, mapping, art and literature. The book then concentrates on new kinds of public and private spaces, such as apartment buildings, office blocks and department stores, and the networks of communication between them. An important theme throughout is the gendered experience of the new types of environment. The book will appeal to scholars and students of historical geography, urban history and cultural studies.
- Author BiographyRichard Dennis is Reader in the Department of Geography, UCL. He is associate editor of the Journal of Urban History and the author of English Industrial Cities of the Nineteenth Century: A Social Geography (1984).
- Author(s)Richard Dennis
- PublisherCambridge University Press
- Date of Publication28/04/2008
- SubjectSociology & Anthropology: Professional
- Series TitleCambridge Studies in Historical Geography
- Series Part/Volume NumberNo. 40
- Place of PublicationCambridge
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintCambridge University Press
- Content Note48 b/w illus. 19 maps 5 tables
- Weight790 g
- Width174 mm
- Height247 mm
- Spine24 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $12.99Trending at AU $19.24
- AU $61.30Trending at AU $73.23
- AU $26.40Trending at AU $33.52
- AU $12.82Trending at AU $13.77
- AU $36.81Trending at AU $38.00
- AU $50.16Trending at AU $55.46
- AU $20.18Trending at AU $24.41
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.