All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $56.99Trending at AU $70.99
- AU $13.75Trending at AU $17.73
- AU $94.90Trending at AU $97.29
- AU $29.08Trending at AU $33.09
- AU $30.74Trending at AU $36.97
- AU $23.06Trending at AU $32.76
- AU $71.09Trending at AU $85.59
About this product
- Description<b>A superb new volume tracks Napoleon's ruthless drive for absolute power, from the post-coup years to exile on Elba </b> In this second volume of Philip Dwyer's authoritative biography on one of history's most enthralling leaders, Napoleon, w 30, takes his position as head of the French state after the 1799 coup. Dwyer explores the young leader's reign, complete with mistakes, wrong turns, and pitfalls, and reveals the great lengths to which Napoleon goes in the effort to fashion his image as legitimate and patriarchal ruler of the new nation. Concealing his defeats, exaggerating his victories, never hesitating to blame others for his own failings, Napoleon is ruthless in his ambition for power. Following Napoleon from Paris to his successful campaigns in Italy and Austria, to the disastrous invasion of Russia, and finally to the war against the Sixth Coalition that would end his reign in Europe, the book looks t only at these events but at the character of the man behind them. Dwyer reveals Napoleon's darker sides--his brooding obsessions and propensity for violence--as well as his passionate nature: his loves, his ability to inspire, and his capacity for realizing his visionary ideas. In an insightful analysis of Napoleon as one of the first truly modern politicians, the author discusses how the persuasive and forward-thinking leader skillfully fashioned the image of himself that persists in legends that surround him to this day.
- Author Biography<b>Philip Dwyer</b> is professor of history and director of the Centre for the History of Violence at the University of Newcastle, Australia.
- Author(s)Dr Philip Dwyer
- PublisherYale University Press
- Date of Publication31/03/2015
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectBiography: Historical, Political & Military
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintYale University Press
- Weight998 g
- Width211 mm
- Height163 mm
- Spine41 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.