All listings for this product
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $92.81Trending at AU $103.88
- AU $67.16Trending at AU $74.80
- AU $20.99Trending at AU $22.70
- AU $41.18Trending at AU $43.25
- AU $28.50Trending at AU $30.84
- AU $19.73Trending at AU $22.74
- AU $27.95Trending at AU $29.71
About this product
- DescriptionCairo, January 1952. Egypt is at a critical point in its modern history, struggling to throw off the yoke of the seventy-year British occupation and its corrupt royalist allies. Hamza is a committed young radical, his goal to build a secret armed brigade to fight for freedom, independence, and national self-esteem. Fawziya is a woman with a mission too, keen to support the cause. Among the ashes of the city love may grow, but at a time of national struggle what place do personal feelings have beside the greater love for a shackled homeland?
- Author BiographyYusuf Idris was one of the great figures of twentieth-century Arabic literature. He was born in 1927, graduated from medical college in 1951, and practiced medicine for several years. His first collection of stories was published in 1956. In 1960 he gave up medicine to become editor of the Cairo daily newspaper al-Gumhuriya, and he continued to write and publish prolifically until his death in 1991. R. Neil Hewison is the translator of Wedding Night by Yusuf Abu Rayya (AUC Press, 2006), and the author of The Fayoum: History and Guide (AUC Press, 3rd ed. 2001).
- Author(s)Yusuf Idris
- PublisherThe American University in Cairo Press
- Date of Publication31/01/2002
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Place of PublicationCairo
- Country of PublicationEgypt
- ImprintThe American University in Cairo Press
- Weight218 g
- Width120 mm
- Height198 mm
- Spine14 mm
- Translated byNeil R. Hewison
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.