All listings for this product
About this product
- Description<b> Stewart O Nan s<i>City of Secrets</i>will keep you up all night reading what a beautifully crafted vel. <b> Alan Furst, <i>New York Times</i>bestselling author of<i>Mission to Paris</i></b> From master storyteller Stewart O'Nan, a timely moral thriller of the Jewish underground resistance in Jerusalem after the Second World War</b> In 1945, with homes to return to, Jewish refugees by the tens of thousands set out for Palestine. Those who made it were hunted as illegals by the British mandatory authorities there and relied on the underground to shelter them; taking fake names, they blended with the population, joining the wildly different factions fighting for the independence of Israel. <i>City of Secrets</i> follows one survivor, Brand, as he tries to regain himself after losing everyone he's ever loved. Now driving a taxi provided like his new identity by the underground, he navigates the twisting streets of Jerusalem as well as the overlapping, sometimes deadly loyalties of the resistance. Alone, haunted by memories, he tries to become again the man he was before the war honest, strong, capable of moral choice. He falls in love with Eva, a fellow survivor and member of his cell, reclaims his faith, and commits himself to the revolution, accepting secret missions that grow more and more dangerous even as he begins to suspect he's being used by their cell's dashing leader, Asher. By the time Brand understands the truth, it's too late, and the tragedy that ensues changes history. A irish, deeply felt vel of intrigue and identity written in O'Nan's trademark lucent style, <i>City of Secrets</i> asks how both despair and faith can lead us astray, and what happens when, with the blest intentions, we join movements beyond our control.
- Author BiographyStewart O'Nan is the author of fifteen previous novels, including <i>West of Sunset</i>, <i>The Odds</i>, <i>Emily Alone</i>, <i>Songs for the Missing</i>, <i> Last Night at the Lobster</i>, <i>A Prayer for the Dying</i>, and <i>Snow Angels</i>. His 2007, novel <i>Last Night at the Lobster</i>, was a national bestseller and a finalist for the Los Angeles Times Book Prize. He was born and raised in Pittsburgh, where he lives with his family.
- Author(s)Stewart O'Nan
- Date of Publication26/04/2016
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- Weight408 g
- Width160 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine20 mm
- Format DetailsSewn,Cloth over boards
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $68.55Trending at AU $73.88
- AU $7.43Trending at AU $13.80
- AU $72.58Trending at AU $75.11
- AU $13.21Trending at AU $15.13
- AU $14.94Trending at AU $19.85
- AU $11.92Trending at AU $16.07
- AU $19.94Trending at AU $23.06
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.