Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $103.88Trending at AU $107.66
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $80.45
- AU $105.90Trending at AU $116.63
- AU $98.80Trending at AU $107.74
- AU $49.77Trending at AU $51.97
- AU $92.78Trending at AU $104.72
- AU $78.00Trending at AU $88.64
About this product
- DescriptionLeban and Libya have undergone critical political events in recent years. However, demands for reform from civic institutions during these transitions have t led to concrete political decisions. Civil Society and Political Reform in Leban and Libya reveals the deeply-entrenched historical patterns and elements of continuity that have led to path dependent outcomes in the political transitions of both countries. Motivated by personal experiences as an activist in Leban, the author draws together a wide range of data from participant observations, nation-wide surveys, interviews and focus groups in a careful analysis of these two civil society-led reform campaigns. The study demonstrates how the combination of weak states and power-sharing agreements marginalizes civic organisations and poses institutional constraints on the likelihood of reform. Written by an active participant in the political events discussed, this book offers new insight into two countries which present comparable and informative case studies. As such, it is a valuable resource for students, scholars and policymakers interested in civil society, politics and reform in the Middle East and North Africa.
- Author BiographyCarmen Geha is a visiting assistant professor at the American University of Beirut and a founding partner of Beyond Reform & Development. She holds a PhD in International Relations from the University of St. Andrews.
- Author(s)Carmen Geha
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication18/02/2016
- SubjectPolitics: General & Reference
- Series TitleRoutledge Studies in Mediterranean Politics
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Note8 black & white illustrations, 4 black & white tables, 5 black & white halftones, 3 black & white line drawings
- Weight453 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine23 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.