All listings for this product
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $62.20Trending at AU $72.53
- AU $92.82Trending at AU $103.78
- AU $66.82Trending at AU $74.72
- AU $20.99Trending at AU $22.68
- AU $30.11Trending at AU $36.16
- AU $15.63Trending at AU $22.29
- AU $15.79Trending at AU $18.37
About this product
- DescriptionMichele is a successful business woman with a troubled private life. She has a high-powered job, a family, a husband, yet she is defined by a term of possession: she is 'Clara's daughter'. Nameless. When Michele moves her mother into the basement, her husband slams the door and disappears into the night. Michele increasingly hides away upstairs, as Clara weaves her conspiracies beneath. Clara's Daughter begins in terraced houses and city parks of North London but develops, through sharp-edged mologues and surreal visions, into a primeval stand-off between mother and daughter. Eventually, Clara - the controlling matriarch - finds a way to release her daughter. But can Michele release herself? Meike Ziervogel is a master of suspenseful storytelling. In Clara's clandestine power games and Michele's increasingly fraught dealings with both her mother and her own highly-strung sister, Hilary, there emerges a chilling, yet poignant family tableau. Devastating in its psychological insights, Clara's Daughter reveals unnerving truths about relationship anxieties on many levels, which emerge t only from Ziervogel's elegant, succinct descriptions, but build steadily from the tense, silent spaces between the unfolding of main events. A divinely-crafted, almost cinematic vella, Clara's Daughter is at once startling, moving and intensely enduring.
- Author BiographyMeike Ziervogel is the founder and director of Peirene Press, an award-winning UK publishing house. Her debut novel 'Magda' was published in 2013 to critical acclaim. It was shortlisted for the Guardian's Not the Booker prize, and was nominated as a book of the year 2013 by the Observer, Irish Times and Guardian readers. Meike lives in London with her husband and two children.
- Author(s)Meike Ziervogel
- PublisherSalt Publishing
- Date of Publication15/09/2014
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Place of PublicationCromer
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- First Published2014
- ImprintSalt Publishing
- Weight216 g
- Width127 mm
- Height198 mm
- Spine8 mm
- Format DetailsB-format paperback
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.