All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionConflict between England and France was a fact of life for centuries, but few realize that this conflict originated with the Vikings and their settlement of what would become Normandy. In this compelling and entertaining history, Mary McAuliffe takes the reader back to those dark and turbulent times when Viking descendant William the Conqueror became king of England, yet as duke of Normandy remained an unwilling subject to the French crown. This led to ongoing hostility between his descendants and generations of French monarchs, culminating in the clash between young Philip Augustus of France and his royal English rivals, most tably Richard Lionheart. Mary McAuliffe colorfully provides the background and context for this clash of crowns, whose outcome would shape the course of English and French history throughout the centuries that followed.
- Author BiographyMary McAuliffe received a Ph.D. in history from the University of Maryland and has taught at several universities and lectured at the Smithsonian Institution. For many years she was a regular contributor to Paris Notes. She has traveled extensively in France and recently published Dawn of the Belle Epoque: The Paris of Monet, Zola, Bernhardt, Eiffel, Debussy, Clemenceau, and Their Friends. She is also the author of Paris Discovered: Explorations in the City of Light. She lives in New York City with her husband.
- Author(s)Mary McAuliffe
- PublisherRowman & Littlefield
- Date of Publication02/06/2015
- SubjectRegional History
- Place of PublicationLanham, MD
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintRowman & Littlefield Publishers
- Content Note2 black & white illustrations, 10 black & white halftones
- Weight422 g
- Width154 mm
- Height223 mm
- Spine20 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $90.88Trending at AU $93.26
- AU $28.71Trending at AU $30.90
- AU $52.98Trending at AU $79.02
- AU $26.88Trending at AU $29.42
- AU $16.99Trending at AU $22.22
- AU $36.48Trending at AU $41.31
- AU $30.95Trending at AU $33.19
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.