All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIn <em>Class Dismissed</em>, John Marsh debunks a myth cherished by journalists, politicians, and ecomists: that growing poverty and inequality in the United States can be solved through education. Using sophisticated analysis combined with personal experience in the classroom, Marsh t only shows that education has little impact on poverty and inequality, but that our mistaken beliefs actively shape the way we structure our schools and what we teach in them.</p>Rather than focus attention on the hierarchy of jobs and power--where most jobs require relatively little education, and the poor enjoy very little political power--money is funneled into educational endeavors that ultimately do thing to challenge established social structures, and in fact reinforce them. And when educational programs prove ineffective at reducing inequality, the ones whom these programs were intended to help end up blaming themselves. Marsh's struggle to grasp the connection between education, poverty, and inequality is both powerful and poignant.</p>
- Author Biography<strong>John Marsh</strong> is associate professor of English at Penn State University. He is the author of two previous books: <em>Class Dismissed: Why We Cannot Teach or Learn Our Way out of Inequality</em> and <em>Hog Butchers, Beggars, and Busboys: Poverty, Labor, and the Making of Modern American Poetry</em>. Marsh is also the editor of <em>You Work Tomorrow: An Anthology of American Labor Poetry, 1929-1941</em>. He lives in State College, Pennsylvania, with his wife and daughter.</p>
- Author(s)John Marsh
- PublisherMonthly Review Press,U.S.
- Date of Publication07/07/2011
- SubjectEducation & Teaching
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintMonthly Review Press,U.S.
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations, figures
- Weight299 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine18 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $90.88Trending at AU $92.76
- AU $28.69Trending at AU $30.73
- AU $52.98Trending at AU $78.60
- AU $44.48Trending at AU $51.92
- AU $78.77Trending at AU $115.92
- AU $34.28Trending at AU $38.56
- AU $44.27Trending at AU $52.71
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.