All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe classification of kwledge is a recurring theme in Islamic scholarship. Successive generations of Muslim scholars, from al-Kindi in the ninth century to Shah Waliallah of Delhi in the eighteenth century, have devoted considerable efforts to the exposition of this theme. The lives and the ideas of the three thinkers discussed in 'Classification of Kwledge in Islam' - al-Farabi (870-950AD), al-Ghazzali (1058-1111AD) and Qutb al-Din al-Shirazi (1236-1311AD) - cover the pivotal period of Islamic history from the first flourishing of the philosophical sciences to the sacking of Baghdad by the Mongols. In addition, each of these three thinkers was either a founder or an eminent representative of a major intellectual school in Islam. Al-Farabi was the founder and one of the most prominent representatives of the mashsha'i (Peripatetic) school of philosopher-scientists. Al-Ghazzali is still recognised as the most famous theologian/sufi of Islam. Qutb al-Din al-Shirazi represents the ishraqi (Illuminationists) school of philosophy. Prof. Osman Bakar's 'Classification of Kwledge in Islam' is the first work of its kind in the English language and is based on extensive scholarships and reference to the original texts.
- Author BiographyProfessor Dato Dr Osman Bakar is Vice Chancellor (Academic) of the University of Malaya, Malaysia and an authority on Islamic science. He has published several books both in English and in Malay.
- Author(s)Osman Bakar
- PublisherThe Islamic Texts Society
- Date of Publication31/12/1998
- Place of PublicationCambridge
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintThe Islamic Texts Society
- Weight376 g
- Width138 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine20 mm
- Foreword bySeyyed Hossein Nasr
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $115.99Trending at AU $139.68
- AU $62.03Trending at AU $73.00
- AU $68.62Trending at AU $90.31
- AU $32.92Trending at AU $34.88
- AU $37.74Trending at AU $39.42
- AU $17.48Trending at AU $19.81
- AU $16.92Trending at AU $22.15
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.