All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $47.34Trending at AU $49.62
- AU $77.99Trending at AU $116.74
- AU $28.60Trending at AU $31.14
- AU $70.29Trending at AU $77.45
- AU $73.96Trending at AU $76.83
- AU $35.46Trending at AU $39.18
- AU $26.74Trending at AU $37.70
About this product
- DescriptionThis study explores the field of ESL (English as a Second Language) classroom learning within a formal learning institution. Influenced by the sociocultural theory in SLA (Second Language Acquisition), the book sheds light on the question that has been boggling the minds of language practitioners and researchers: Why is ESL classroom talk the way it is? Based on a case study of a school in an ESL community, it argues persuasively that classroom talk may be linked in important ways to an operative sociocultural structure of ESL pedagogy over and above the classroom at the institutional level. The book examines issues which have here-to-fore been avoided by writers and researchers in current SLA writings and classroom studies. It confronts complex and complicated contextual and research methodological issues to make visible what has up to w been that elusive structure behind the oral practices in language classrooms. Research methods are drawn from language education and several disciplines within linguistics and the social sciences. Emerging from a multidisciplinary methodological framework are a number of surprising revelations about the meanings and functions of ESL classroom talk.
- Author BiographyThe Author: Debbie Ho teaches Applied Linguistics at Universiti Brunei Darussalam in Brunei. Born in Singapore, she has a Ph.D. in Applied Linguistics from the University of Adelaide, Australia. She lives in Brunei.
- Author(s)Debbie G. E. Ho
- PublisherVerlag Peter Lang
- Date of Publication01/05/2007
- Series TitleLinguistic Insights
- Series Part/Volume Number27
- Place of PublicationPieterlen
- Country of PublicationSwitzerland
- ImprintVerlag Peter Lang
- Weight370 g
- Width150 mm
- Height220 mm
- Edition Statement2nd edition
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.