All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $52.98Trending at AU $79.06
- AU $70.86Trending at AU $126.78
- AU $6.83Trending at AU $10.44
- AU $26.88Trending at AU $29.49
- AU $16.99Trending at AU $22.27
- AU $36.48Trending at AU $41.41
- AU $40.00Trending at AU $40.65
About this product
- DescriptionThe essays assembled in Clearing a Space , written over the last fifteen years, cover an astonishing range of subjects. The writer treats himself as a specimen for an exploration of what it means to be a modern Indian in relation to the West. Personal memoir gives readers a glance into a nation's history; his relationship to the West provides insight into India's national relationship to the West; and, his struggle to define 'Indianness' for himself becomes a paradigm of searching for Indian identity.With the same elegance and intelligence for which the author has become kwn, Chaudhuri writes anecdotally in these essays about Indian popular culture and high culture, travel and location in Paris, Bombay, Dublin, Calcutta and Berlin, empire and nationalism, Indian and Western cinema, music, art and literature, politics, race, cosmopolitanism, urban landscapes, Hollywood and Bollywood, Anglophone India, internationalism, globalisation, the Indian English tradition that pre-dates Rushdie, post-colonialism and much more.
- Author BiographyThe Author: Over the past 15 years, Amit Chaudhuri has made a name for himself as one of the most significant figures in contemporary culture. He is the author of several award-winning novels, including A Strange and Sublime Address and Afternoon Raag, as well as being an internationally acclaimed musician and influential essayist. His essays have appeared in many journals including the LRB and Granta. He is currently Professor of Contemporary Literature at the University of East Anglia.
- Author(s)Amit Chaudhuri
- PublisherPeter Lang Ltd
- Date of Publication15/05/2008
- Series TitlePeter Lang Ltd.
- Series Part/Volume Number8
- Place of PublicationWitney
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintPeter Lang Ltd
- Weight530 g
- Width140 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine23 mm
- Edition Statement1st New edition
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.