All listings for this product
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $14.24Trending at AU $14.43
- AU $7.43Trending at AU $13.80
- AU $13.21Trending at AU $15.13
- AU $14.94Trending at AU $19.85
- AU $11.92Trending at AU $16.07
- AU $19.23Trending at AU $23.93
- AU $19.94Trending at AU $23.06
About this product
- DescriptionImagine if you were the first and only female police detective in Acapulco, investigating crime in a city both breathtaking and deadly. Mexican drug cartels battle for control and politicians are bought with blood money. The detective squadroom reeks of machismo. The lieutenant is a dirty cop who has trapped you into silence. That's the situation for Detective Emilia Cruz in CLIFF DIVER, the first book in the sensational police procedural series taking the mystery scene by storm. Unexpectedly put in charge of the investigation when her lieutenant is found dead, Emilia uncovers the lieutenant's sordid sexual past as well as his role in a kidnapping double-cross and counterfeit money scheme. Reputations are threatened by her discoveries and truth is for sale. Emilia becomes a pawn in an ugly game of power and corruption played by Acapulco's ambitious mayor and the powerful police union. Rival police detectives try to sabotage Emilia's investigation. Their ringleader is a prime suspect. A rteamerica hotel manager, Kurt Rucker, has some helpful advice for Emilia but the heat between them is too hot to handle. Feeling like one of Acapulco's famous cliff divers hoping t to crash on the rocks below, Emilia must choose between truth and survival. But matter what choice she makes, she won't be ready for the shock of the water. And neither will you. Consistently exciting . . . A clever Mexican detective tale that will leave readers eager for the series' next installment. - Kirkus Reviews A WOMAN WHO CAN TAKE THE HEAT Acapulco police detective Emilia Cruz joins John Rebus, Harry Hole, Arkady Renko, and Guido Brunetti as international fiction's most memorable crime fighters. Emilia Cruz is a good liar, a fast thinker, a determined investigator and a mean kickboxer. An Acapulco native forced to grow up too fast, she's been a cop for nearly 12 years and a detective for two; a strong Latina woman in a squadroom that didn't want her and is still trying to break her. But Emilia isn't afraid to defend herself and get what she's rightfully earned. She kws that many women in Mexico don't get the chances she's had and the proof is in a log she tracks of women who have gone missing. But she doesn't kw how to handle Kurt Rucker, the manager of a luxury hotel in Acapulco. A former US Marine, he has the confidence and leadership qualities she admires. A triathlete, he's calm under pressure and kws what he wants. But does Emilia? THE TWO FACES OF ACAPULCO There's the Acapulco that tourists kw; the sweep of the most beautiful bay in the world, the majesty of the clear blue Pacific, candlelit nights on the beach, and luxury hi-rises. There's also the Acapulco that is a prize to be fought over by drug cartels--the city that is home to hookers and thieves, the streets where life is cheap and poverty is as pervasive as the wind off the ocean. Both of these versions of Acapulco claw at each other and force Emilia to survive between them. No investigation will be easy, crime will be simple. Carmen Amato has taken the classic mystery and given it a contemporary Mexican twist. The result is an adrenaline-charged vel with the emotional vibe of those who live on the edge. See why amazon reviewers say Can't wait to read the next of Amato's vels! Grab a margarita and come on down to Acapulco . . . If you can take the heat.
- Author BiographyCarmen Amato was born in New York and educated there as well as Virginia and Paris, France. Her family tree includes a mayor, a Mensa genius, and the first homicide in the state of Connecticut with an automatic weapon. The perpetrator, her great-grandfather, eluded a state-wide manhunt after killing two people-one of whom was his wife-and was never brought to justice. Carmen is the author of the Emilia Cruz mystery series set in Acapulco including Cliff Diver, Hat Dance, Diablo Nights, as well as several romantic suspense novels and the monthly Mystery Ahead webzine. Visit her website at carmenamato.net and follow her on Twitter @CarmenConnects.
- Author(s)Carmen Amato
- PublisherCreatespace Independent Publishing Platform
- Date of Publication30/01/2013
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintCreatespace Independent Publishing Platform
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight345 g
- Width133 mm
- Height203 mm
- Spine17 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.