Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $30.38+ AU $10.00 postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by roxy*books
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $20.18+ AU $4.99 postage
- Good condition
- Sold by whattaplace
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionOn the basis of deeply probing conversations with the actor-director, conducted over a three-year period, and interviews with friends, colleagues and family members, Schickel gives us the most candid and close-up portrait of Eastwood we have ever had. We see the boy, Clint, regularly changing homes and schools as his family struggles to overcome the hardships of the Depression. We watch a restless West Coast adolescent obsessed with cars and jazz turn into an angry young man going through years of frustration and rejection as he tries to establish himself as an actor. After Eastwood achieves star status in the television series Rawhide, we witness him making the daring choices that propel him first to international stardom - the decision to make a spaghetti western (Sergio Leone's A Fistful of Dollars) - and then to superstardom as the controversial Dirty Harry. We trace, too, the emergence of Eastwood the director, from modest beginnings (Play Misty for Me) through increasingly complex and ambitious films such as The Outlaw Josey Wales and Bronco Billy to the Oscar-winning success of Unforgiven. And finally Eastwood becomes t only one of the most admired figures in his profession, but an American icon. Here is the essential Eastwood, caught in action as he directs and stars in some of his most important movies, reflecting on what is unquestionably a remarkable career. Here is Eastwood describing his feelings about his own work, about his unwillingness to settle for the roles he kws he can play and his desire to challenge himself; about films and filmmakers, directors, actors and actresses; about his family; about what he has accomplished and what he hopes to accomplish.
- Author BiographyRichard Schickel has been reviewing movies--first for <b>Life</b>, then for <b>Time</b>--for exactly as long as Clint Eastwood has been starring in them. He is the author of many books about film and filmmakers, among them <b>The Disney Version</b>, the definitive study of Walt Disney and his works; <b>D. W. Griffith: An American Life</b>, which won the British Film Institute Book Prize; and <b>The Men Who Made the Movies</b>, on the directors of the classic Hollywood age. For more than two decades he has been making television documentaries, mainly about the history of movies. He has held a Guggenheim Fellowship and has taught film history and criticism at Yale and USC. He lives in Los Angeles.
- Author(s)Richard Schickel
- PublisherRandom House USA Inc
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectBiography: The Arts
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintRandom House Inc
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight735 g
- Width142 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine35 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $9.86Trending at AU $16.88
- AU $24.83Trending at AU $25.37
- AU $64.07Trending at AU $75.12
- AU $31.50Trending at AU $37.08
- AU $44.28Trending at AU $47.26
- AU $24.09Trending at AU $28.39
- AU $9.83Trending at AU $14.06
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.