All listings for this product
Save on Textbooks
- AU $56.99Trending at AU $71.24
- AU $69.53Trending at AU $85.88
- AU $17.60Trending at AU $22.97
- AU $29.91Trending at AU $39.07
- AU $26.15Trending at AU $26.47
- AU $35.37Trending at AU $37.41
- AU $49.76Trending at AU $53.81
About this product
- DescriptionThe state of acquiring more than one language as a child or an adult is t the exception; it is rather an everyday reality for a quite substantial part of today's society. This book explores the phemen of code-switching within the field of child bilingualism from both linguistic and sociolinguistic perspectives. Based on collected data from Kurdish-German pre-school bilingual children in Austria, this empirical study aims at giving an analysis of linguistic and extra-linguistic factors that constrain child code-switching. The book shows specific interest in practices of code switching and mixing as displayed by Kurdish subjects of the study and in how far these can be sufficiently explained by existing models of (adult) bilingual language behavior. The results clearly show that code-switching can be related to the identity and characteristics of the speakers or to aspects of their social life, and that it can be subconsciously used to manage conflict when different languages are associated with different roles in a community.
- Author BiographyBaban Mohamed studied English Language and Literature at the University of Sulaimania (Kurdistan Region of Iraq) and English Studies (General/Applied Linguistics) at the University of Salzburg (Austria). His research interests are in the areas of bilingual acquisition, child code-switching and sociolinguistics.
- Author(s)Baban Mohamed
- PublisherPeter Lang GmbH
- Date of Publication21/05/2014
- Series TitleEuropaeische Hochschulschriften / European University Studies / Publications Universitaires Europeennes
- Series Part/Volume Number385
- Place of PublicationFrankfurt am Main
- Country of PublicationGermany
- First Published2014
- ImprintPeter Lang GmbH
- Weight200 g
- Width148 mm
- Height210 mm
- Spine23 mm
- Edition Statement1st New edition
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.