All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThere are more coral species in deep, cold-waters than in tropical coral reefs. This broad-ranging treatment is the first to synthesise current understanding of all types of cold-water coral, covering their ecology, biology, palaeontology and geology. Beginning with a history of research in the field, the authors describe the approaches needed to study corals in the deep sea. They consider coral habitats created by stony scleractinian as well as octocoral species. The importance of corals as long-lived geological structures and palaeoclimate archives is discussed, in addition to ways in which they can be conserved. Topic boxes explain unfamiliar concepts, and case studies summarise significant studies, coral habitats or particular conservation measures. Written for professionals and students of marine science, this text is enhanced by an extensive glossary, online resources, and a unique collection of colour photographs and illustrations of corals and the habitats they form.
- Author BiographyJ. Murray Roberts is a marine biologist at the Scottish Association for Marine Science. His research focuses on the biology and ecology of cold-water corals. Andrew Wheeler is Senior Lecturer and coordinator of marine and freshwater research at University College Cork. His research currently focuses on seabed mapping and sedimentology of cold-water coral carbonate mounds. Andre Freiwald is chair of palaeontology at the GeoZentrum Nordbayern, Erlangen. His research focuses on cold-water corals, cool-water carbonates, and bioerosion. Stephen Cairns is a Research Zoologist at the Smithsonian Institution, Washington DC. As a systematist he has described approximately 350 new deep-water coral species from around the world.
- Author(s)Andre Freiwald,Andrew J. Wheeler,J. Murray Roberts,Stephen Cairns
- PublisherCambridge University Press
- Date of Publication30/04/2009
- SubjectLife Sciences: General
- Place of PublicationCambridge
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintCambridge University Press
- Content Note53 b/w illus. 29 colour illus. 14 tables
- Weight790 g
- Width174 mm
- Height247 mm
- Spine21 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $9.20Trending at AU $16.14
- AU $43.51Trending at AU $48.90
- AU $30.28Trending at AU $33.73
- AU $11.97Trending at AU $20.27
- AU $24.18Trending at AU $34.88
- AU $43.43Trending at AU $48.15
- AU $18.90Trending at AU $22.47
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.