Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $46.25Trending at AU $49.65
- AU $3.73Trending at AU $7.41
- AU $27.04Trending at AU $31.41
- AU $70.89Trending at AU $78.37
- AU $25.16Trending at AU $27.12
- AU $19.24Trending at AU $24.20
- AU $22.60Trending at AU $23.15
About this product
- DescriptionRainer Brambach, one of the most widely appreciated Swiss poets in the 1950s and '60s, was torious for walking to the beat of his own drum, defying convention, and standing his ground against popular styles and trends. He grew up in Basel and left school at the age of fourteen to become a manual laborer. He spent much of World War II in prison and labor camps, an experience which greatly influenced his writing. After the war, Brambach began to make his name as a poet. Recognition and awards twithstanding, Brambach remained an outsider in the literary world and lived for many years in poverty. Marked by his disregard for material values, a profound engagement with the landscape of the Upper Rhine, and a lasting commitment to humanity, Brambach's poems are direct, unadorned, and free of pomp or ideology. His quiet images conjure up landscapes, small rural scenes, and interiors of bars and cafes. Brambach was, above all, an observer whose poems provide insights of deceptive simplicity that confirm the significance of this author's voice. This collection of poems, masterfully translated by ted writer and poet Esther Kinsky, represents the first major English translation of this significant European poet.
- Author BiographyRainer Brambach's (1917-83) other collections of poetry include Zeit war's and Auch im April. Esther Kinsky is a poet, writer, and translator working in German, Polish, Russian, and English. She is the author of Summer Resort, also published by Seagull Books.
- Author(s)Rainer Brambach
- PublisherSeagull Books London Ltd
- Date of Publication07/03/2014
- SubjectPoetry Texts & Poetry Anthologies
- Place of PublicationGreenford
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintSeagull Books London Ltd
- Weight308 g
- Width127 mm
- Height220 mm
- Spine17 mm
- Translated byEsther Kinsky
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.