All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $14.50Trending at AU $17.06
- AU $20.15Trending at AU $23.77
- AU $30.78Trending at AU $34.76
- AU $8.59Trending at AU $13.89
- AU $32.75Trending at AU $55.12
- AU $91.99Trending at AU $99.23
- AU $28.58Trending at AU $36.36
About this product
- DescriptionTO THE STUDENT The shortest and best way of learning a language is to kw the roots of it, that is, those original primitive words from which other words are formed. -- Lord Chesterfield Columbia 1000 Words You Must Kw for ESL presents 1000 most frequently tested words for ESL. You will find 100 vocabulary-building lessons in Books 1 - 3. Each lesson contains 10 new words and they are first presented to you with Memory Tips; next, New Words are listed in rhyming memory groups and followed by Sample Sentences; the last part of the lesson are Sentence Completion and Definition Matching practice tests with answers. One of the most outstanding features of this book is that each new word is repeated at least five times in a lesson so that you will have a much better chance to memorize it more easily. Columbia 1000 Words You Must Kw for ESL is designed to help you master all the absolutely essential ESL words using our most effective memory method: A Roots and Rhyming Memory Approach. Let's take the word aberration for example and see how this exciting new memory method can help you find the shortest and best way to memorize new words and build a large vocabulary: 1. MEMORY TIPS: Memorizing words with the help of Roots, Prefixes, and Suffixes. ion condition or action; as aberration, ration, inflation, temptation, abbreviation 2. NEW WORDS: New Words are arranged in rhyming groups for easy memory. aberration, ration, inflation, temptation, abbreviation ABERRATION n. departure from what is right or true rhyming sound -ation 3. SAMPLE SENTENCES: Sample Sentences are given to help you memorize words in context. This complexity is t an aberration or something to be wished away, it is the new reality. 4. SENTENCE COMPLETION: Sentence Completion is designed to help you memorize words through tests. The patient's only _____________ was a temporary lapse of memory.(aberration) 5. DEFINITION MATCHING: Definition Matching is designed to help you memorize words through repetition. departure from what is right or true _________________________ (aberration) In this example, the repeated appearance of the word aberration in the lesson makes it easy for you to memorize. Therefore you can see that only by repeated practice or reinforcement of a new word under different circumstances can you really memorize it so unconsciously that you will never forget. Human memory, like the unconscious, is structured like a language. Once you have memorized a new word, it will stay in your unconscious and become part of yourself. Whenever you need it, it will come to you automatically just like the flowers coming in the spring: it is natural! Columbia 1000 Words You Must Kw for ESL is both a self-help book and a textbook for classroom use. It is the only vocabulary book you will ever need to master the most often tested words on the ESL. If you can spend about 25 minutes a day with this book, you will definitely help yourself expand your vocabulary, build up your word power, and raise your score on the ESL. CONTENTS Unit 1 aback, crack, rack, ransack, counterattack aberration, ration, inflation, temptation, abbreviation Unit 2 abet, asset, beget, cadet, regret abhor, decor, mentor, metaphor, ambassador Unit 3 abide, collide, confide, subside, homicide abject, affect, defect, neglect, prospect Unit 4 abjure, conjure, endure, obscure, immature abominate, accelerate, accumulate, excoriate, matriculate Unit 5 abstain, constrain, detain, domain, refrain abstruse, diffuse, effuse, profuse, recluse ....
- Author BiographyDr. Richard Lee is a professor of English and distinguished publishing scholar with numerous books published under his name. His books are available on Amazon, other online stores, and in bookstores worldwide. He pursued his doctoral education at the University of Rochester in New York and the University of British Columbia and received his Ph.D. in English.
- Author(s)Richard Lee Ph D
- PublisherColumbia Press
- Date of Publication25/04/2013
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectLanguage Learning: Self Study
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintColumbia Press
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight327 g
- Width203 mm
- Height254 mm
- Spine9 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.