Columbia Chronologies of Asian History and Culture by Columbia University Press (Hardback, 2000)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $137.21Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by books2anywhereuk
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $26.93+ AU $4.99 postage
- Good condition
- Sold by whattaplace
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
Best-selling in Other
Save on Other
- AU $76.46Trending at AU $77.53
- AU $25.16Trending at AU $29.23
- AU $41.34Trending at AU $43.95
- AU $57.79Trending at AU $86.66
- AU $27.84Trending at AU $32.39
- AU $34.05Trending at AU $42.31
- AU $41.41Trending at AU $42.12
About this product
- DescriptionContaining more information on Asian culture than any other English-language reference work, Columbia Chrologies of Asian History and Culture is the first of its kind: a set of more than thirty chrologies for all the countries of Asia-East, South, Southeast, and Central-from the Paleolithic era through 1998. Each entry is clearly dated and, unlike most chrologies found in standard history texts, the entries are complete and detailed eugh to provide virtually a sequential history of the vast and rich span of Asian cultures. The contributing writers and editors have ensured the book's usefulness to general readers by identifying individuals and groups, locating places and regions, explaining events and movements, and defining unfamiliar words and concepts. The thirty-two chrologies on individual countries, in conjunction with a detailed index, allow readers to find specific information quickly and efficiently, whether they seek the date for the invention of the iron plow or gunpowder, the fall of the Han Dynasty in China, or Ho Chi Minh's declarations of Vietnamese independence. This invaluable reference culminates with three appendices: National/Independence Days, Scientific-Techlogical Achievements in Asia, and Asia: A Chrological Overview, which provides an accessible summary of key events and developments in various fields of activity throughout the continent. The Columbia Chrologies of Asian History and Culture features: * three discrete chrologies on (1) Politics/History, (2) Art/Culture/Religion, and (3) Science/Ecomics/Everyday Life for each of Asia's three major cultures-China, India, and Japan-as well as a combined chrology for each of the other nations; * detailed entries of thousands of historical events as well as important milestones in religion, philosophy, literature, and the arts; * entries on techlogical developments and natural events (famines, floods, etc.) affecting the lives of ordinary people; and * authoritative and accessibly written entries by a team of Asian scholars from Columbia, Harvard, and other major research universities. Beyond its detailed accounting of Asia's political history, Columbia Chrologies of Asian History and Culture also gives full recognition to religious, intellectual, artistic, and general cultural achievements, as well as to scientific, techlogical, industrial, agricultural, and ecomic developments. Concise yet complete, it will stand as an indispensable reference work in the field of Asian studies.
- Author BiographyJohn Bowman has been an editor and writer for over forty years, beginning at Natural History Magazine and then at the Book of Knowledge before becoming an independent editor. Among the many works he has edited are The Cambridge Dictionary of American Biography, The Almanac of the Vietnam War, and Chronicle of the Twentieth Century. He contributed chronologies of Asian religions to the Chronology of World Religions.
- PublisherColumbia University Press
- Date of Publication03/08/2000
- SubjectSocial Studies: General
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintColumbia University Press
- Content Note2-column format
- Weight1589 g
- Width171 mm
- Height248 mm
- Spine57 mm
- Edited byJohn S. Bowman
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.