All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $9.86Trending at AU $16.82
- AU $11.51Trending at AU $18.80
- AU $64.07Trending at AU $74.86
- AU $28.70Trending at AU $36.95
- AU $44.96Trending at AU $47.10
- AU $25.61Trending at AU $28.23
- AU $9.83Trending at AU $13.31
About this product
- DescriptionGian-Carlo Rota was one of the most original and colourful mathematicians of the 20th century. His work on the foundations of combinatorics focused on the algebraic structures that lie behind diverse combinatorial areas, and created a new area of algebraic combinatorics. Written by two of his former students, this book is based on tes from his influential graduate courses and on face-to-face discussions. Topics include sets and valuations, partially ordered sets, distributive lattices, partitions and entropy, matching theory, free matrices, doubly stochastic matrices, Moebius functions, chains and antichains, Sperner theory, commuting equivalence relations and linear lattices, modular and geometric lattices, valuation rings, generating functions, umbral calculus, symmetric functions, Baxter algebras, unimodality of sequences, and location of zeros of polymials. Many exercises and research problems are included, and unexplored areas of possible research are discussed. A must-have for all students and researchers in combinatorics and related areas.
- Author BiographyDr. Joseph P. S. Kung is Professor of Mathematics at the University of North Texas. He is currently an editor-in-chief for the journal Advances in Applied Mathematics. Gian-Carlo Rota (1932-1999) was a Professor of Applied Mathematics and Natural Philosophy at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. He was a member of the National Academy of Science. He was awarded the 1988 Steele Prize of the American Mathematical Society for his 1964 paper On the Foundations of Combinatorial Theory I. Theory of Moebius Functions. He is the founding editor of Journal of Combinatorial Theory. Catherine H. Yan is a Professor of Mathematics at Texas A&M University. She was a Courant Instructor at New York University (1997-1999) and a Sloan Fellow (2001-2003).
- Author(s)Catherine H. Yan,Gian-Carlo Rota,Joseph P. S. Kung
- PublisherCambridge University Press
- Date of Publication09/02/2009
- SubjectScience & Mathematics: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Series TitleCambridge Mathematical Library
- Place of PublicationCambridge
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintCambridge University Press
- Content Note3 b/w illus. 209 exercises
- Weight650 g
- Width152 mm
- Height228 mm
- Spine25 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.