All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionWhen Robbie Rogers stepped onto the field for the LA Galaxy in 2013, he made history as the first openly gay man to play in a major US professional sport. Coming Out to Play tells Rogers's harrowing story as a closeted gay man in the ultra-heterosexual world of professional football, his decision to come out and leave behind his beloved sport, and his subsequent return to football - signing for the LA Galaxy. Rogers knew he wanted to be a professional football player from the age of four, and knew he was gay from the age of thirteen. He kept the latter hidden until he was twenty-five, believing the two realities to be totally irreconcilable. For twelve years he mastered the art of deception, both inwardly to himself and outwardly to teammates, friends, and family. In a February 2013 blog post that received global attention, he finally came out to the world. Rogers's memoir is a moving account of love overcoming prejudice, and a clarion call to other gay sports people around the world to openly embrace their sexuality.
- Author BiographyRobbie Rogers is an openly gay footballer now playing in the USA for the LA Galaxy. He has previously played for the US national team and for Leeds United in the UK. Eric Marcus is the author and co-author of several books, including Breaking the Surface, the No. 1 New York Times bestselling autobiography of Olympic diving champion Greg Louganis.
- Author(s)Eric Marcus,Robbie Rogers
- PublisherBiteback Publishing
- Date of Publication25/11/2014
- SubjectAutobiography: Sport
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintBiteback Publishing
- Content Notecolour plates
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $46.25Trending at AU $49.52
- AU $3.75Trending at AU $7.39
- AU $16.66Trending at AU $30.84
- AU $27.04Trending at AU $31.08
- AU $70.90Trending at AU $79.81
- AU $32.98Trending at AU $39.85
- AU $20.50Trending at AU $24.14
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.